Editors' Note

Courtesy of Columbia Spectator
Courtesy of Columbia Spectator

You're an exceptional group of scholars, athletes, musicians and community leaders. As a result, you're most likely about to experience what it's like to not be the best at everything for the first time. That's normal, and one of the privileges you have gained by choosing Dartmouth is that you are among so many of the best, some of whom are the best in unconventional ways.

As you enter the Dartmouth community, you'll soon figure out what you want to study, the organizations you want to join and most importantly, the people you want to become. Remember that only you can make these decisions and judge what will make you happy. Though this issue of The D is meant to guide you, we know no better than you what your path at Dartmouth should be. Dartmouth could be the most fun, or the most educationally edifying or the most athletic four years of your life. It could prepare you for a career or it could be an interlude in which you postpone thinking about real life (as so many of us do). It's really up to you.

But don't stress out too much just yet. You won't know exactly what to expect until you arrive on campus. And when you do, remember to take things one step at a time. Freshman year is not when you should start planning out your life. It's a time to discover your passions and learn from your mistakes.

We're excited to meet you.