Renovations to increase capacity of dining hall

01.06.11.news.foco
01.06.11.news.foco

The seating area will open Spring term, according to Director of Dartmouth Dining Services David Newlove.

Some of the changes to Food Court will increase its energy efficiency, which is a major focus of the renovations, according to Newlove.

Prior to the renovations, Thayer Dining Hall, now renamed the Class of 1953 Commons, had an insulation level substantially lower than that of a typical home, according to Newlove. The previous insulation system used asbestos, which is being removed from the building and replaced by more efficient insulation, he said.

The new windows will increase energy efficiency and the heat generated by cooking operations will be used to heat domestic water, Newlove said.

Other visible changes to Food Court will include the removal of the painted panels on the ceiling, which contained asbestos, according to Newlove. The front of Food Court will now include a wheelchair ramp, making the entire building handicap accessible.

Upstairs areas of Food Court that were not entirely handicap accessible before the renovations now will be, Newlove said.

The basement of '53 Commons will also include a new social space for students, according to Newlove.

Although plans are not yet solidified, the space is intended to be an area that could be used for various dances, concerts and meetings, he said.

Renovations to the second floor, which was reopened this term, will begin over the Summer. Different types of seating upstairs will be constructed, including booths, circular tables and rectangular tables, Newlove said. The Class of '53 Commons will contain 1,000 seats by the end of renovations, as compared to 700 before.

Since students cannot currently sit in Food Court, Homeplate and additional areas upstairs are the only seating options. Some students interviewed by The Dartmouth expressed annoyance with the change in seating designation areas,and Newlove acknowledged that some students would not want to walk upstairs.

DDS has tried to combat the inconvenience of upstairs seating by including many signs and placing to-go containers in accessible places, according to Newlove.

Although the current space may appear more crowded, Food Court has not lost any menu options, according to Newlove. DDS has also tried to reduce the work-zone feel of the temporary walls in the Food Court service area by asking students from the Center for Cartoon Studies in White River Junction, Vt., to paint murals, Newlove said.

While the implementation of these changes continue, however, students are still adjusting to the new look and layout of Food Court.

"It's going to be tricky navigating it," Blaine Ponto '14 said, "A lot of people are going to be unhappy."

One of the biggest concerns voiced by students interviewed by The Dartmouth was the heightened levels of congestion in the dining halls. Some students have resorted to eating during hours that are considered off-peak, Lindsay Mandel '14 said.

Most students interviewed by The Dartmouth said they recognized that the closure was just a small inconvenience and were not bothered by the construction.

"I can deal with [the renovations] knowing that it's temporary," Grace Johnson '11 said.

Colin Harris '13 said he believed that the changes to Food Court will ultimately improve the dining facilities.

"I have every confidence that the finished product will be worth the inconvenience of the construction," he said.