Letter to the Editor: My Response

I am writing to urge students not to follow the advice in Tuesday's column "D' is for Drinking." I am as upset as any of you about the perceived disabling of the Good Samaritan policy indicated by the Hanover Police Department's filing of criminal charges against Sigma Alpha Epsilon. But for students to avoid seeking medical help and instead take matters into their own hands is risky behavior which could result in serious injury or death. Whatever the penalties associated with alcohol charges against a Greek organization, they are greatly outweighed by dangers of failing to call for medical help for a student in need.

We are working to persuade the Town and police department to reinstate the Good Sam policy for organizations as well as individuals. We will also be announcing a series of steps to reduce excessive drinking, building on the work of the Student and Presidential Alcohol Harm Reduction Committee and the College-Town Alcohol Task Force. In the meantime, I appeal to your good judgment and your consideration for the well-being of fellow students. Please continue making Good Sam calls.