Things to See

Do you think the only interesting things to see in Hanover right now are the '14s? Peel your peepers away from those fine freshmen and expand your horizon. There's plenty to see on campus this Fall.

Rugby 60th Anniversary

The Dartmouth Rugby Football Club celebrates 60 years of Dartmouth rugby Oct. 8-10. Over 1,000 alumni and friends are expected at what should be the biggest Dartmouth rugby gathering since the opening of the spectacular Corey Ford Rugby Clubhouse five years ago. The weekend will be studded with cocktail parties, receptions, a gala dinner party and alumni matches, all headlined by the first and second XV's matches against perennial Ivy rival Brown University. The women's sides will battle Yale University. All the action will take place on beautiful Brophy Field, nestled beneath New Hampshire hills that will be bursting with autumn flame.

Tailgates

An exciting new tradition is beginning this Fall. Every Saturday there is a home football game College-sponsored tailgates will be hosted by a variety of fraternities.

"We've been planning it all summer and we're really excited to see all the events happen," Student Body President Eric Tanner '11 said.

Tanner spearheaded the initiative as part of a larger drive to increase school spirit and sense of community, citing sporting events as an "underrated community building activity." He hopes that the tailgates will boost both attendance and engagement, as well as help create a hostile environment for teams visiting Memorial Field.

Each fraternity will host a different food vendor and feature a variety of merchandise exclusively for sale at the tailgates, including new "D Block" student section t-shirts. The event will end 15 minutes before the start of the game and allow students who will have been stamped with a mark allowing them free access to all sporting events that day to arrive at kickoff and cheer the Big Green on to victory. Tailgates will begin Sept. 25 at Alpha Delta fraternity, with a pig roast by Collis Ray, followed by Stinson's catering at Psi Upsilon fraternity on Oct. 9th.

Telluride at Dartmouth

The Hopkins Center for the Arts will play host to a number of exciting events this Fall. The 25th annual Telluride at Dartmouth film festival allows Dartmouth community members the opportunity to watch six screenings of films from the Colorado event without making a trip out to the Rockies. One entry is "The Illusionist," French filmmaker Sylvain Chomet's latest work after his Oscar-winning animated masterpiece "The Triplets of Belleville." The plot revolves around a stage magician whose professional star is fading and his relationship with an adoring young Scottish fan. Another film, "Oka! Amerikee," presents a fictionalized account of an ethnomusicologist's work with the Bayakan pygmies of the central African rainforest. Student passes can be purchased for $30 and include admission to all six films, choice of screening times and advance seating, while individual tickets can be bought for $6 each.

Dartmouth Film Series

The Dartmouth Film Society's fall series, "We're Not in Kansas Any More" gets weird with a lineup of strange, mind-bending movies. The series invades your dreams with "Inception" (Oct. 3), dabbles in apocalyptic surreality with "Dr. Strangelove" (Oct. 20), opens "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" (Nov. 3), gets satirical with "Monty Python's Life of Brian" (Nov. 14), and wraps things up with "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" (Nov. 21). Student passes are $15.Music at the Hop

On Oct. 26, Grammy-winning Chucho Valdes brings his sizzling Latin jazz to Spaulding Auditorium, accompanied by the Afro-Cuban Messengers. His first American tour in seven years is expected to be a tour-de-force; don't miss it. Student tickets are $10.

Friday Night Rock

Friday Night Rock brings its lineup of fresh new music back this fall starting with a show by Guignol, a "gypsy punk group out of Brooklyn reminiscent of Gogol Bordello," according to FNR's booking manager Matt Knight '11. Guignol brings their dynamic live act to Fuel Oct. 8. Rock band Jeff the Brotherhood follows the klezmer up with some Nashville noise Oct. 22. Their fast psychedelic rock is sure to get feet dancing and the pit moshing.