Souba to serve as DMS Dean

Wiley Sousa was selected to serve as the new Dean of Dartmouth Medical School and Vice President of Health Affairs.

"It is a pleasure to welcome Chip Souba to Dartmouth," Kim said in a press release. "He is highly regarded as a cancersurgeon, as a basic scientist, and as a talented administrator and leader. He is known for his ability to partner and to transform." Souba has not yet announced any new plans for DMS and potential change in DMS enrollment is "to be discussed", according to Provost Carol Folt. "We're just entering into a major period of strategic planning," Folt said. "We'll be looking at many things." Souba has published over 300 articles in peer-reviewed journals, written one book and edited two others. Souba also holds positions at several medical publications, serving as an editor of the Journal of Surgical Research, the Journal of Healthcare Leadership and the Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. His research is focused on the metabolism of theamino acid glutamine and the role of leadership in academic medical centers. Souba, who received his doctorate from the Harvard School of Public Health, previously served as chair of the surgery department at Penn State College of Medicine and surgeon in chief at Hershey Medical Center in Pennsylvania, according to the College's press release. He grew up in Caracas, Venezuelawhere his father worked as an engineer. He emigrated to New Jersey at age 15, and received his bachelor's degree in chemistry at Muskingum College in Ohio in 1975. He then earned his medical degree at the University of Texas Medical School in Houston in 1978 and completed fellowships at Brigham and Women's Hospital and the M.D. Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute. Souba has also served as a professor of surgery at Harvard Medical School and as the chief of surgical oncology at Massachusetts General Hospital.

"Dartmouth is an institution that is prestigious enough, and has a rich history, and the right leadership to do great things. But it's also focused enough and small enough to do great things," Souba said. "When people get that we come to work to improve people's lives that's powerful."