Daily Debriefing

Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, along with three other hospitals in the Northeast, participated in a chain of kidney transplants this week, WMUR Manchester reported Thursday. Four donor surgeries took place simultaneously at DHMC, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, and two hospitals in New Jersey. The kidneys were then transported separately by plane to their recipients at the other hospitals, where the transplant surgeries occurred later the same day, WMUR reported. The surgeries were "live transplants," meaning that the kidneys were taken from living rather than dead donors. Live transplants tend to last longer and have a lower rate of rejection than transplants from donors who have died, WMUR reported. The chain of surgeries allowed family members to obtain kidneys for their sick loved ones, even when they were not matches themselves, according to WMUR.

Republican state senators in Michigan voted Thursday to reject Democratic Governor Jennifer Granholm's appointments to the governing board of public universities, Inside Higher Ed reported. The senators said the next governor should appoint the board members, whose terms would begin Jan. 1, 2011, the day Granholm leaves office. Because of Michigan's term limit laws, Granholm cannot run for re-election, Inside Higher Ed wrote. The appointments would have affected the boards of Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Ferris State, Grand Valley State, Michigan Technological, Northern Michigan and Western Michigan Universities. A total of 14 nominees were rejected by the vote, which occurred mostly along party lines. Democrats said that the rejection was rare and suggested party politics as the reason for the rejection, the Associated Press reported Thursday.

The Mount Aloysius College Board of Trustees selected Thomas Foley '75 as the next president of Mount Aloysius College, The Tribune-Democrat reported Thursday. Foley currently serves as the chief executive officer for the Southeastern Pennsylvania Chapter of the American Red Cross, which raised over $40 million in relief funds for the victims of Hurricane Katrina while under Foley's direction, The Tribune wrote. He became the youngest state Secretary of Labor and Industry in 1991. Foley will replace Mary Ann Dillon, who intends to step down in June as president of Mount Aloysius. Foley majored in government at Dartmouth, according to The Tribune.