Trustees to discuss budget cuts

11.06.09.news.bot
11.06.09.news.bot

"The Board has an ongoing interest in meeting with students and has done so often in the past and plans to continue that practice," Adams said.

The Board will primarily focus on general "strategic discussions" about the College's financial situation, Adams said, adding that he did not know whether the Board will decide on the exact amount that will need to be cut from this year's budget.

The Board budget discussion will be in the context of "keeping the institution moving forward along certain paths," Adams said.

"The focus is definitely finances, but the object of the discussion of finances is not just how we can meet the current need and overcome budget challenges, but how Dartmouth can continue to be a leader in higher education and continue to move forward and have high aspirations," he said.

Adams predicted that the trustees will not create specific plans for executing the cuts at this meeting, although he added he does not know the Board's intentions.

"We don't expect a lot of very specific decisions," Adams said. "Board meetings are usually about more general directions."

The Board will discuss how the College can pursue its aspirations over the next 10 years "while resolving its budget challenges," Adams said. Kim, in a previous interview with The Dartmouth, said the College community will have more detailed information about the budget cuts after the meeting.

"I think it's fair to say that the Board and the president at any given time are always having these kinds of discussions, because the institution always has to be kept moving forward, and this is simply a regularly scheduled meeting," Adams said. "That said, the outset of a new presidency is always a particularly appropriate time to focus on aspirations and how an institution can achieve them, and it just so happens that at this particular moment there are some budget challenges to be discussed as part of that."

Kim said in the previous interview that he will eventually hold open forums during which he will "go in detail through the budget picture and what we're facing."

During these forums similar to those held by members of former College President James Wright's administration last winter members of the Dartmouth community will have the opportunity to give input about the College's budget cuts, Kim said in the interview.

It is too early in the process to know whether students will have an official meeting with the Board to share their opinions on the budget cuts, Adams said, emphasizing that students will be consulted in similar capacities as they were for the last round of cuts.

The Board will hear reports from several of its subcommittees at the meeting, Adams said, including the committees on academic affairs, alumni relations, finance, governance, master planning and facilities, investment and student affairs.

Trustees will also meet with the associate deans and department chairs from the faculty of arts and sciences in an informal reception, Adams said.