June 7, 2024 | Latest Issue

Former Rocky assistant director to run for Vt. governor

Matt Dunne, a former assistant director of the Rockefeller Center for Public Policy, announced his intention to run for governor of Vermont on Tuesday.

Dunne previously ran for lieutenant governor in 2006.

Dunne, in a speech announcing his candidacy, said that Vermont must "turn the corner in these tough economic times" and ensure that members of younger generations can serve as successful entrepreneurs. He also noted that the state government needs to be transformed in preparation for this new era.

The state government is beleaguered by antiquated technology systems, structural deficits, demoralization among state employees, limited transparency and unnecessary bureaucratic red tape, Dunne said in an interview with The Dartmouth. The state must reevaluate some regulations to eliminate hindrances to businesses and improve transparency through technology like Youtube and online bill tracking systems, he said.

Dunne, a former member of the Vermont House of Representatives and Senate, said that his experience will help him "bring people from all sectors together across the state to help Vermont into the future."

Although Dunne has yet to launch any major campaign initiatives, he told The Dartmouth that he will focus on grassroots efforts and enlist college students' help in reaching out to the community.

"Dartmouth students were very involved in my last statewide campaign," Dunne said.

Dunne's time away from government will hurt his changes, assistant Minority Leader Rep. Patricia McDonald, R-Washington, said in an interview with The Dartmouth, explaining that knowledge of the current legislative dynamic is critical.

Dunne's previous campaign for lieutenant governor may also hurt his campaign, Minority Leader Rep. Patti Komline, R-Bennington-Rutland, said.

"Negative campaigning against [Dunne's opponent] Brian Dubie in 2006 was disappointing," Komline said in an interview with The Dartmouth. "He has some seasoned people running against him, a longshot when you compare him to some of the other candidates."

Dunne represents another candidate from the far left, which will hurt his chances, John Bauer, head of message development, fundraising and data management for the campaign of state Sen. Susan Barlett, D-Lamoille, said in an e-mail to The Dartmouth. Bartlett was the third Democratic candidate to join the race.

Those who worked with Dunne during his time at the Rockefeller Center praised his ingenuity.

"When Matt Dunne worked for me at the Rockefeller Center, he was an amazing source of creative ideas for engaging students in politics and public service," government professor Linda Fowler, former director of the Rockefeller Center, said in an e-mail to The Dartmouth.

Corrie Martin '90, who was the program development manager of the Business Bridge Program at Tuck, said that Dunne was a "good partner for managing the intersection of nonprofit and entrepreneurship." Dunne helped Tuck secure a $200,000 grant from the UPS Foundation for the Bridge Program, according to the Vox of Dartmouth.

Dunne was the director of AmeriCorps VISTA under both former Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, and is currently manager for community affairs at Google.