Daily Debriefing

Student Assembly passed legislation to fund advertisements promoting its online research guide during Tuesday's General Assembly meeting. The research guide, launched Oct. 20, provides descriptions of previously completed student research projects and aims to inform students about what opportunities are available. The guide is currently available on the Assembly web site. The Assembly also passed legislation allocating $5,390 to fund the Assembly-chartered bus service between Hanover and New York city during Thanksgiving Break.

About 30 percent of the 100 private colleges surveyed by Moody's Investors Service said they expect their tuition and fee revenues to decline in the 2010 fiscal year, Inside Higher Ed reported on Tuesday. In past years, less than 10 percent of colleges predicted decreases. Due to colleges' decreased selectivity in the 2008 admissions cycle, 73 percent of surveyed institutions saw enrollment numbers rise, according to Inside Higher Ed. The report found that the median tuition increase this year was 4.1 percent, compared to a 5.5 percent average increase over the past 10 years.

Two members of the New Hampshire House of Representatives have introduced a bill to expand the state's death penalty to include individuals who commit murders during home invasions, The Union Leader reported on Tuesday. The bill comes one month after four teenagers wielding machetes murdered Mount Vernon resident Kimberly Cates and injured her 11-year-old daughter after breaking into their home. The bill was introduced by Rep. William O'Brien, R-Hillsborough, and Rep. Robert Mead, R-Hillsborough. The New Hampshire legislature is currently organizing a year-long study of the death penalty. New Hampshire's current law allows the death penalty in cases involving murder during kidnapping, rape or drug deals, murder for hire and the murder of judges or law enforcement officials, according to The Union Leader.