Generation Anonymous

Coming up with a catchy name for our generation is a task that has long stumped journalists and sociologists. Proposals have been made Generation Y, the Me-First Generation but nothing has ever stuck the way Baby Boomers or the Greatest Generation did. I'd like to suggest a moniker that I think now more than ever is proving itself distressingly appropriate: the Anonymous Generation.

Many before me have pointed out our habit of hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet. However, two recent manifestations of this trend at Dartmouth have gotten me thinking about its inherent dangers. The resurgence of BoredatBaker, and the outpouring of e-mails in response to Matthew Ritger '10's recent Mirror columns, published without names on Ritger's new blog, are two very different, but equally anonymous cases. Paradoxically, and regrettably, this anonymity seems to have empowered poisonous, hateful voices while delegitimizing those that are honest and important.

The namelessness of BoredatBaker posters allows them to get away with defaming and embarrassing their classmates without fear of retribution. They can throw around horrific accusations, make painful jabs at someone's character or appearance and objectify other students in a lewd and disgusting manner. BoredatBaker gives people the power to tear down their peers, a power that they do not have in the real world, where openly declaring some of the unprintable comments made on BoredatBaker would lead to a community-wide shunning. BoredatBaker targets are typically outgoing and noticeable campus figures subjected to character hatchet jobs simply because of their high profile. They are people who others would not dare to insult if the defamers had to publicly stand behind their comments.

In contrast to BoredatBaker-ites, the people who have e-mailed Matt Ritger, but have requested that their names be redacted when he posts their comments to his Change:Dartmouth blog, have eloquent, thoughtful and important words to share words that resonate with many members of the Dartmouth community. While their desire for anonymity is understandable the stories they share are often painful and intensely personal they are doing their messages a disservice by remaining unnamed.

Many of the e-mails' authors thank Ritger for starting a much-needed dialogue on campus, and express the wish that it will continue until a real change is brought about. Many hope that their words will have an impact on freshmen and sophomores, who are only beginning to find their place at Dartmouth. And many praise Ritger for his bravery in publishing what he had to know would be controversial words. Ritger has, at least for the moment, become the face of the anti-Greek movement. He cannot, however, go it alone. It is too easy to dismiss a lone voice as an outlier, or an aberration, as Kevin Niparko '12 has already done ("Gospel According to Whom?" Oct. 14).

Although the e-mail writers prove that there are plenty of others out there who share Ritger's feelings, a movement of anonymous posters has never changed the world. Someone visible has to lead the discussions, formulate the petitions and provide examples of alternative options. We need to see that those who live among us our friends, classmates, teammates, sorority sisters and fraternity brothers are being hurt by the system, not just some anonymous writers who we can dismiss as "others." A name gives a writer humanity, and it forces his friends and acquaintances to pay attention. If changing the Greek system is a cause that you care about, you have a responsibility to speak out publicly. Without more visible crusaders, the discussion is doomed to return to the underground, circling only among like-minded, unaffiliated individuals.

Many members of our generation have embraced the safe, comfortable anonymity that the Internet provides. In doing so, we have reneged on our responsibilities as members of a community. We have also become a wholly uncourageous bunch. We make unfounded attacks on our peers, and then, knowing what others are capable of, are too afraid to stand up for what we believe in. Rather than providing a support system for our peers, we have created an environment that discourages honest self-expression. Dartmouth prides itself on its unique sense of community, and the promise of community is one of the main reasons I chose to attend school here. If we don't want to lose this community, we need to step away from our computers and address our fellow students face-to-face.