Daily Debriefing

Student Assembly elected Gaelle Tribie '10 as treasurer for the Spring term at its first meeting following interim on Tuesday. Tribie previously served on the Assembly's Membership and Internal Affairs committee. At the meeting, the chairs of the Academic Affairs committee announced their plan to work to encourage academic departments to designate more of their courses to satisfy the Culture and Identity World Culture Requirement, particularly courses offered on Language Study Abroad programs and Foreign Study Programs. The Assembly also confirmed Brian Almadi '11 as co-chair of the Academic Affairs Committee, Greg Knight '12 as co-chair of the Student Life Committee and Kashay Sanders '11 as co-chair of Diversity and Community Affairs Committee. Sanders is a former member of The Dartmouth Staff.

Dartmouth Medical School Dean William Green has been named as the first Elmer R. Pfefferkorn professor of microbiology and immunology, according to a DMS press release. The professorship honors DMS professor emeritus Elmer Pfefferkorn, former chair of microbiology and immunology at the medical school, for his contributions to DMS in academia and administration, DMS professor Michael Fanger said in the release. "[Green] has a record of strong and innovative research, broad teaching activities, and outstanding accomplishments," Fanger said. Green's research team has investigated the development of AIDS and AIDS-related complications in mice, with potential applications for developing new vaccines for viruses, according to the release.

A five-member task force will begin meeting this month to consider a proposal drafted by Gov. Jim Douglas, R-Vt., to merge the University of Vermont with the Vermont State College system, the Associated Press reported Tuesday. The proposed change could reduce costs by combining programs and administrative responsibilities, the AP reported. Officials from both school systems have expressed doubts about the effectiveness of the merger, citing differences in the financial and structures of the institutions. While UVM relies mainly on out-of-state tuition for its budget, the state college system caters largely to Vermont residents. Administrators from both institutions agree that the schools could collaborate by sharing programs in teacher education and agriculture, according to the AP.