Dining hall plans held for social spaces report

Plans to construct a new dining hall to replace Thayer Dining Hall have been postponed until the release of a report by the Social Space Committee, in order to consider the committee's recommendations on alternative social spaces, Mary Gorman, associate provost of the College, said.

"We want to make sure that we don't have a building two-thirds of the way done and then have to come up with a new plan," Gorman said. "There's the desire for there to be a larger space as well as some informal space. The committee still has some work to do."

Planning for the dining hall will resume once the report has been completed, likely in late summer or early fall, and could take up to a year, according to Gorman.

Kieran Timberlake Associates, the architectural firm hired by the College, has already examined the area surrounding Thayer, which stretches from the Gold Coast residential cluster to the Collis Center, to determine how the new project will fit into the space.

"This is an area of campus that has a lot of student activity, and yet there's a lot of vehicle access in the area," Gorman said. "They thought it should have more green space like the rest of the College, and less pavement."

KTA has also completed a "basis of design," which allocates costs and assigns approximate square footages to different floors and rooms, Dean of Residential Life Martin Redman said.

The College displayed the plans in Collis Common Ground in the fall, allowing students to view the potential designs. Students will have additional opportunities to offer insight about the new dining hall when planning resumes, according to Gorman.

"We are going to be working to get student input," Gorman said. "This is a building students are going to be spending a lot of time in."

While specifics of the new dining hall have not been determined, the facility will include a variety of food options and a retail space similar to Topside, Gorman said.

"We do know that the building will be taller and have some nice views into Vermont," Gorman said. "It will have some nice outdoor space in front of it."

KTA is known for sustainable design, according to Gorman. The firm is working to reduce energy use through more environmentally-friendly ventilation systems and lighting.

Redman estimated that the construction of the dining hall will cost around $50 to $70 million. The College has a funding plan in place and has received a primary donation for the project, but would welcome additional contributions, Gorman said.

The College will build a temporary dining facility near Alumni Gym to accommodate students after Thayer is demolished.