College to build more employee housing

The Rivercrest development will offer hundreds of new housing units for College and Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center employees.

Affordable housing is scarce in the Upper Valley Region, particularly in Hanover and Lebanon, according to Len Cadwallader, the executive director of Vital Communities and secretary for the Upper Valley Housing Coalition. Organizations that seek to create less expensive housing options for Upper Valley residents. According to federal guidelines, an occupant must spend 30 percent or less of his income on housing for it to be considered affordable.

Currently, the Rivercrest development contains 61 housing units, all of which are occupied by College and DHMC employees. The goal of the new project is to have constant vacancies for new employees, eliminating the waiting list of employees who seek affordable housing, said Paul Olsen, director of the Dartmouth Real Estate Office.

Construction will occur in two phases, beginning with the demolition of the 61 existing homes. During this initial phase, the first 151 units will be built on the front half of the lot. These units will consist of single-family homes, duplex units, town houses and single-level apartments. All of the single-family homes and duplexes and half of the townhouses will be sold while the remaining half of the townhouses and apartments will be rented.

The second phase of construction, which will add 160 units, will begin when the majority of these first units are occupied.

The College and DHMC will retain the right to buy the houses back from the owners when they are resold to help finance the project.

The project was initially delayed when Hanover residents voted against a proposal to rezone the land space in 2002. Despite the vote, Dartmouth continued to look into the project until the rezoning proposal was passed in May 2006.

"It was clear that there was enough conceptual support for redevelopment of the site," Olsen said.

The Rivercrest land, located a mile and a half north of the College on Route 10, has belonged to Dartmouth "forever," Olsen said. He added that because the new units are only available to employees of the College and DHMC, housing for employees of other businesses in the Upper Valley will become more readily available.

Eleanor Cassady, a Dartmouth Dining Services Employees, said that the Rivercrest housing project will be beneficial for College staff.

"I know a lot of people who have a hard time finding a house," Cassady said. She cited Rivercrest's proximity to businesses and affordable transportation benefits of the housing development.

Kathy McTaggart, a DDS employee who moved into a Rivercrest house ten years ago, said she believed that living in College-provided housing eased her transition to Hanover and said that the new units will benefit other College and DHMC staff that are new to the area.

According to Olsen, the new development is designed to model the neighborhood-feel of the nearby towns of Lyme, N.H. and Woodstock, Vt.

"We have 14 different building types so it doesn't feel like just another project," said Olsen.

The office anticipates that they will save 60 of the 120 mature trees on the site. All of the houses share common lawn spaces, which Olsen said will add to a sense of community. In addition, the development will be heated by a district plant fueled by wood pellets. The College will provide community bicycles and possibly Segway scooters for residents commuting to campus. The development is also located near an Advance Transit stop.

"It is a great leap forward," Olsen said.