What Matters to Me and Why

If you're anything like me, you're sick of talking about the changes to Dartmouth's Board of Trustees. Sure, there was a week when I would pontificate to everyone who would listen, but that period soon ended. In the scheme of things, the governance changes should, as best as I can tell, have little impact on our lives as students (notwithstanding this miserable idea for a member of the New Hampshire House of Representatives to take some control of our College's charter).

After being at Dartmouth for over three years now, I have heard plenty of complaints about life at the College, and virtually none of these had to do with either the issue of the College's governance or its priorities as a liberal arts college versus that of a major research university (I've always felt we fall into the former category, but I digress). For the most part, students' complaints fit into one of two realms. There are those about large social issues on campus, and those about smaller, more academic issues such as class sizes, confusion over how certain majors and requirements are structured, or -- my own personal favorite -- why some departments refuse to let you use NROs.

The academic issues are much easier to solve. Any systematic review of Dartmouth's academic practices or even just talking to students would let you know what they find difficult and what should be fixed. I would prefer this be done out of Dartmouth's hands, because as we well know, most universities and institutions aren't self-reflective enough to deeply understand their own flaws. Hiring more professors in crowded departments would of course be fantastic, as this is one of the few complaints that hangs around year after year. I am a history major, and though I have only been shut out of one class (one cross-listed with art history), it is absurd that some people, who need specific classes to start or finish their major, should be boxed out of them. These are simple problems, and though their solutions may be more complex, they are certainly fixable.

The large social issues are substantially more difficult to solve. There is the constant issue of the Greek system, what to do about it, and the effects and consequences of having Greek life at Dartmouth. The Greek system is never going to be abolished, nor should it. I love being a member of a Greek house, though I certainly wouldn't condone everything (or maybe even most things) that occurs on Webster Avenue and Wheelock Street. But it is important that we engage in a dialogue, not just when issues arise, but particularly when they lie dormant. The best time to deal with issues is not in the heat of a crisis, but after the dust has settled (take note, Board of Trustees). Part of Dartmouth's inability to deal with these larger campus social issues can be accounted for by its lack of institutional memory. One crisis leads to another, and though we often discuss the old crises, the seriousness with which they're treated is greatly weakened.

Much like in our political scene, where scandal often displaces scandal to the point where the older scandals just fade away, Dartmouth can always count on a new issue of the day, particularly in the realm of governance. Whether it is trustee petition candidates, the Alumni Constitution or changes to the Board of Trustees, there is always a new headline to distract us from whatever real issues Dartmouth has.

In the long run, I could care less if Dartmouth has nine more trustees appointed directly by the board. I care about the future experience of Dartmouth students. They won't need the distraction of lawsuits and legislation. They will need to deal with issues more relevant to their experiences as students in Hanover.

There is a reason that, despite our various differences, most of us love Dartmouth. It has very little to do with the structure of its governance, and much more to do with the wonderful students, faculty and other employees of the College. Rather than spending our time debating the Board of Trustees, let's focus on issues more relevant to the typical student's Dartmouth experience. I promise you it will be more worthwhile.