June 16, 2024 | Latest Issue

CFS director to leave College for Iowa

Leaving Dartmouth in July to pursue a doctorate degree in higher education at the University of Iowa, assistant director of Coed, Fraternity and Sorority Administration Megan Johnson expressed an emotional attachment to the College, where she's worked since 2004.

"I've been really reflective lately about my time at Dartmouth. More than anything, it was the right place for me at the right time," Johnson said.

Some of Johnson's major contributions to the College include creating the once-a-term CFS Leadership Academy for all organizational officers, conducting presentations about the Greek organizations to various College constituencies and collaborating with various campus groups including the Panhellenic Council and Mentors Against Violence in order to improve the Greek experience for students. She was also directly involved in bringing a seventh sorority to campus.

"Megan has demonstrated an unwavering commitment to the values and principles upon which Greek Letter Organizations are based," Deb Carney, director of Coed, Fraternity and Sorority Administration, said in an announcement regarding Johnson's departure.

Carney recognized Johnson's efforts in challenging students to think about the "what and why" of the choices they make and encouraging them to seek excellence within their organizations. Johnson said her time at Dartmouth was one of personal growth, where she pushed students to constantly ask questions, and the students pushed back.

"The students here have challenged me and I have challenged them," she said. "I got my butt kicked in the beginning, but it was a good challenge. It helped me grow."

Johnson recalled that when she first arrived on campus, she was informed by Carney of the high-profile nature of her position, and soon learned that nearly every campus community member seemed to have an opinion about CFS organizations.

Johnson credited her colleagues and the Dartmouth students for her success at the College. She added that her personal growth was due in part to the high caliber of the students, who constantly challenged her and the Office of Residential Life's support, which gave her the freedom to initiate new projects.

Johnson said she looks forward to seeing campus Greek life continue to evolve and improve in the years to come.

"I believe CFS organizations and students have more potential then they realize sometimes," she said. "I've talked to so many students who don't like the status quo, like the [fraternity] basements or the rush process, but I don't see as many students wanting to see change. I hope that we continue down the positive path where students are challenging each other and appropriately challenging the College so that we get to a deeper, richer place of understanding."

Johnson is excited about her new endeavour and while she jokingly said she still does not know what she wants to be when she grows up, she knows her passion is in education.

"I would come back to Dartmouth in a heartbeat," she said.

Fouad Saleet, who assumed various roles in ORL from 2002 to 2006 that included serving as a community director, will take over Johnson's position.Saleet is currently a residence director at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst.