Knapptime with Mike Knapp

When the weather warms up each spring, throwing a Frisbee around on the Green seems like the thing to do. The stereotypical hurler is pot-smoking, unwashed and dreadlocked. There are some frisbee-ers, however, who break the mold. They are ultimate frisbee players, and they treat frisbee as a competitive activity rather than a casual pastime. This week, I sat down with ultimate player Rembert Browne II '09. Since ultimate frisbee is a club sport, this week's Knapptime we will venture into the life of the non-varsity athlete. Prepare yourself, for the journey is not an easy one. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into... the Frisbee Zone.

The D: Hey man, first of all, how is the team doing this spring?

Rembert Browne II: We're good. We're really good this year. We are a frontrunner in our section, and a strong candidate to make nationals.

The D: Awesome. Do you want to use this space to make any bold predictions about how the team is going to finish?

RBII: Sure. Since our sectional tournament was postponed until next weekend, I'll say this extra week will help us. We will definitely make nationals this year. Without question.

The D: What do you say to people who say that Frisbee is for dogs and hippies only?

RBII: Well, I used to think that. But as I've played at higher levels of competition, I've realized that it is a very legit sport. I played in high school and I discovered that it's not just a silly hippie hobby.

The D: Ha ha, hippie hobby?

RBII: Yes, write that down. Hippie hobby.

The D: What are you up to these days besides Frisbee?

RBII: I'm real busy. I helped out with Dimensions, and I'm co-hosting Spring Sing. Outside of that, I'm just getting ready for sophomore summer. I'm also enjoying the world and buying ugly clothes. [Points to his hideous looking floral sweatshirt.] I don't know if you saw this. I bought it.

The D: Yeah I saw it. It is maybe the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Anyway, do you have any NBA playoff predictions?

RBII: Yeah, Atlanta Hawks all the way. No, I'm kidding. I firmly believe that the Dallas Mavericks will only lose one game en route to the title.

The D: Bold move. For the MVP, do you like Dirk Nowitski, Steve Nash or Kobe Bryant?

RBII: Well, Kobe makes my Top Five All Time Worst Humans list, so I'd say either Nash or Nowitski.

The D: If you could see one artist or band in history perform live, who would it be?

RBII: It would be a concert with Outkast opening. The headliners would be James Brown and Mozart. Mozart is my boy.

The D: What is the last thing you think about before you go to bed?

RBII: How my mom told me I was going to be taller, and how she's a liar. And Jay-Z.

The D: Where is the best on-campus dining?

RBII: Collis. For sure.

The D: That's the hippie answer.

RBII: I know, but the Hop can kiss my butt.