Daily Debriefing

A Feb. 7 satirical opinion piece titled "Rape Only Hurts If You Fight it" in the Central Connecticut State University newspaper, The Recorder, has drawn campus-wide ire. The author, John Petroski, suggested that rape has benefitted western civilization, and that it helps "ugly women." About 100 students gathered in protest of the article, and many of them called for Petroski's and the editor's resignations from the newspaper. CCSU President Jack Miller released a letter acknowledging The Recorder's right to freedom of speech but condemning the article's message. The newspaper later issued an apology, stating, "We didn't know the campus community as well as we thought we knew." A group of students and faculty will gather to discuss the issue and how to prevent such occurrences.

Economics professor Douglas Staiger authored a study that found that students taught by traditionally certified teachers do not perform better on standardized exams than those taught by alternatively or uncertified teachers. While the requirements for alternative certification differ by state, teachers generally must possess a bachelor's degree, participate in training and be enrolled in a master's degree teaching program. Approximately one third of all new teachers hired in the United States each year are alternatively certified. The study focused on students in grades four through eight in New York City.

Millionaire philanthropist Julian Cohen '46, died last Thursday of a heart attack at the age of 82. Cohen worked 54 years as a real estate developer in New England and was a pioneer for his developing of indoor malls and luxury urban condominiums. He was named one of the 50 wealthiest residents of Boston, Mass., in 2006 with an estimated net worth of $350 million dollars. Cohen was a very avid donor to Dartmouth and is listed in the "Honor Roll" of the Dartmouth College Fund for 60-69 years of giving. He also made an endowment to create the Professor for the Study of Ethics and Human Values at Dartmouth, currently held by Ronald M. Green. Other gifts include $13 million to the Boston Sympathy Orchestra and $31 million to Palm Beach's Kraft Center for the Performing Arts.