Daily Debriefing

The state of New Hampshire has seen a record number of gastrointestinal virus outbreaks this year, according to Department of Health and Human Services spokesman Greg Moore. This year saw 41 outbreaks, compared to the previous record of 33, set in 2003. Officials blame the norovirus for the outbreaks, and state health records show at least 1,415 people in the state were diagnosed with norovirus infections since Dec. 1. Dr. Dawn Harland, associate director for clinical affairs at Dick's House, said that they are seeing a large number of gastrointestinal cases this term, but none of the cases have been attributed to the norovirus. The norovirus is most commonly transmitted through contamination of food, surfaces, or water, and hygiene is the key to prevention. Symptoms of the virus include diarrhea, stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting and fever that usually end within two days.

Don McCabe, professor of management and global business at Rutgers University, presented his lecture, "Who's cheating in College? Current trends & future implications," yesterday in 41 Haldeman Hall. McCabe is the leading authority on cheating at universities and has surveyed over 140,000 students at more than 150 universities. According to McCabe, students statistically more likely to cheat include: business and communication majors, students with high or low GPAs, those with significant time commitments and members of Greek houses. Of all students surveyed last year, 22 percent of undergraduates reported serious cheating at least once on an exam. He cited major motivations for cheating as feeling pressured to succeed, having the mentality that many others cheat, viewing the material as irrelevant and feeling the courses are too difficult. Around 45 people attended the lecture, including many faculty members.

Dartmouth's Institute for Information Infrastructure Protection recently named Charles C. Palmer, chief technology officer of security and privacy at IBM's Thomas J. Watson Research Center, as the new director of research. Martin Wybourne, vice provost for research at Dartmouth and chair of the "I3P," as the organization is known, said in a press release that, "Charles brings to Dartmouth and the I3P a balanced perspective on cyber security issues that will benefit the coordination and impact of the I3P's work." Palmer plans to improve Dartmouth's cyber security and privacy-related technology.