Friday Night Rock revives with Charlene performance this Friday

For those of you who thought Friday night was dead: Long live FNR!

With support from the Programming Board, Friday Night Rock, the campus group devoted to hipper-than-thou music, is hosting Charlene, a shoegazing indie quartet originally from Boston, this Friday. Though freshmen may still see fraternity dance parties as all the rage -- FUEL does not get much better than when it is hosting an FNR show.

Guitarist/keyboardist Matt Mirande and bassist/vocalist John Rex co-founded the band and the record label Shark Attack! Music in 1996.

Having already recorded three singles and a full-length album in its own studio, Charlene is a completely self-contained musical entity: "Indie" in every sense of the word. They do that indie touring thing, too; Charlene is in the middle of a 10-date tour to Chicago and back before releasing a second LP next year. And FNR is pleased that Hanover is one of the 10 tour stops.

"There's a lot of sound to fill your ears, but it's not overwhelming, so you can't help but feel good about what you're hearing," Andrew Berry '08, General Manager of FNR, said.

Opening for Charlene is The Casino, who Berry describes as "a rock band with a saxophone who play hard on stage and waste no time raging hard afterward."

Charlene and The Casino will play this Friday, Oct. 20, in FUEL Rocket Club in Collis basement. Entrance is free, as is the food (and beer for those over 21). Doors open at 9:30 p.m. and the show starts at 10 p.m.