DDS announces final meal plan changes

One month after the Dining Plan Task Force's final recommendation to Dartmouth Dining Services regarding changes in the dining program, DDS has announced the revisions and adjustments that will begin in June.

The 100 percent increase of the proposed Topside DBA spending limit from $100 to $200 was the only modification made to the original proposal, which was released in February. The original proposal switches to four dining plan options from the current five, implements a new "rollover" feature, removes surcharges and "extra DBA dollars" and separates "Topside" and "dining" DBA, all of which will be put into effect this summer. Topside DBA can be used anywhere within DDS system, while the dining DBA can be used anywhere but Topside.

"I think that $200 is a lot better than $100, but I know that I spend $300 on average at Topside a term," Kate Schmidt '09 said.

According to Dean of Residential Life Martin Redman, Dean of the College James Larimore is probably responsible for the increase in the Topside spending limit. The committee recommendation was given to Redman and then passed on to Larimore, who spent three to four weeks with the proposal.

Larimore could not be reached for comment.

"I'm assuming, but I don't know this for a fact, that because of articles in [The Dartmouth] and Student Assembly, he had a conversation with [President James Wright] and other senior staff members, and that is where the change was suggested," Redman said.

DDS Fiscal Manager Don Blume said he hopes that students will use the new separate accounts for dining DBA and Topside DBA to their advantage.

"If you're a savvy student and want to get the maximum use out of your DBA, then you spend your Topside DBA every term," Blume said.

Blume said that people who currently spend a fair amount of their DBA at Topside should spend their Topside DBA at the convenience store under the new plan. For students who do not spend as much DBA at Topside, he suggests that students inform the cashier that they would like to apply their purchase to their Topside accounts.

"[The shift] is going to be perceived as an enhancement for some people and for other people it's just going to be an inconvenience," Blume said, "because they are going to have to go that extra step, making sure they know what their balance is and how to get rid of it.

Some students still take issue with the idea of an imposed limit on Topside.

"At a convenience store do they limit how much you spend? Well, Topside is our convenience store, why limit how much we spend there?" Jonathan Marble '08 said.

Students who are studying in Hanover or are living in College-managed housing are still required to purchase a meal plan.

Part of the new format allows for extra dining DBA to rollover to the next term's account. However, all remaining DBA will be forfeited annually after every Commencement Day so that DDS can balance its books. Topside DBA, on the other hand, does not rollover and is lost at 4 p.m. on the last day of exams every term.

The bonus dollars that are currently attached to the two largest plans have been replaced by a 10 percent discount that is only applied to the $1,500 Big Green plan, the largest of the four plans.

Blume said that the price reduction on the Big Green Plan actually gives students more savings than current policy does. The main difference is that now "the discount occurs at the cash register rather than being loaded into your DBA."

For all plan holders, with the exception of those with the Big Green Plan, dining plans may be changed during the first seven calendar days of each term. The Big Green Plan is exempted and can only be changed prior to the loading of DBA to accounts.

With the Big Green Plan, the discount is applied to all non-Topside purchases made within dining services, whether made with dining DBA, Topside DBA, DASH discretionary or as a negative charge.

In Fall term, newly matriculated freshmen will be required to purchase the $1,200 Green Plan as opposed to the $1,065 Bonus Plan that freshmen were previously required to purchase.

"I think some people will be able to [spend the money], I did my Fall term. But [at the same time] a lot of people might not be able to spend that much. I have $350 left this term and I am a guy and I eat a lot," Andrew Greenberg '09.

Once credit is in a student's account, it will be there and remain active until it is spent, allowing students who visit on their off-terms to use their remaining DBA.