Suicide policy at GWU raises questions

Jordan Nott's recent lawsuit against George Washington University for forcing him to withdraw from the institution because of suicidal tendencies has focused attention on Dartmouth's own policy on medical privacy in cases of suicide.

A day and a half after checking himself into George Washington University Hospital in the fall of 2004, Nott was notified that he had violated the student code of conduct through "endangering behavior," and faced suspension or expulsion.

The Dartmouth Student Handbook currently states that "under certain circumstances, the student may be placed on an involuntary medical withdrawal according to procedures on file for review at the College Health Service and in the Office of the Dean of the College."

Director of Counseling and Health Resources Mark Reed, however, is confident in Dartmouth's dedication to medical confidentiality.

"There is not a direct line between Dick's House and the Dean's Office," he said.

While deans may be contacted by the Office of Residential Life, Safety and Security, and Dick's House, "there is currently a lot of flexibility in the Dartmouth system and we can deal with these issues on a case-by-case basis," he said.

Reed said that medical professionals look at the seriousness, clarity and consistency of the patient's suicidal thoughts as well as their ability to articulate plans for the future to help determine the seriousness of an issue. He also stressed that confidentiality is taken very seriously, and that most cases involving the Dean's Office stem from public acts, not confidential conversations.

According to Senior Associate Dean Daniel Nelson, the administration will only invoke an involuntary medical leave a few times a year, and only in certain extreme circumstances.

The three criteria which merit an involuntary leave are situations involving a student who is a serious danger to him or herself, a student who is a serious danger to others or a student who is deemed a gross disruption to the educational communities.

Nelson explained some of the limitations on Dartmouth's ability to solve serious mental health problems given that it is "first and foremost an academic, not a therapeutic, institution."

"There are needs we cannot address here, given the institution we are," Nelson said.

Although there is a specific process the Dean's Office uses to deal with cases, Nelson stressed that there is not just one response in these situations.

"The administration works closely with students, families and doctors first," he said, "and the Office of the Dean of the College makes an administrative decision."

Nelson said that students have an opportunity to present information and raise concerns with the health office and Dean's Office to affect the outcome of their case.

Whereas George Washington's administration admitted that Nott's case involved a concern for liability, Nelson did not cite liability as a factor in the process.

"The primary concern is for the health and safety of individual students," he said.