Partisans dispute Bush address

Members of the College Republicans viewed the speech from a room in Silsby Hall while the Young Democrats gathered in the Rockefeller Center to watch the address.

"Tonight, President Bush impressed no one by restating the same failed agenda," the Young Democrats executive board said in a statement released after viewing the speech.

The members of the College Republicans were pleased with Bush's speech, however, according to College Republicans treasurer Greg Boguslavsky '09.

"Overall, the consensus was that the speech was delivered with poise and heartfelt sincerity," Boguslavsky said.

One of the main issues Bush tackled in his speech was the nation's dependence on oil, particularly oil imported from the Middle East. Announcing his Advanced Energy Initiative, Bush promised to increase funding for clean-energy research at the Department of Energy by 22 percent.

This research will focus on developing cleaner and more efficient methods of powering automobiles, as well as working for the increased use of environmentally friendly energy technology through means such as solar, wind and nuclear power.

The president further pushed for the need to avoid isolationist policies regarding international affairs and economics. He singled out China and India in particular as growing economic competitors that could pose a threat to American hegemony.

"We will choose to build our prosperity by leading the world economy -- or shut ourselves off from trade and opportunity," Bush said.

Bush also asked the Congress to approve his new education plan: the American Competitiveness Initiative. Under part of this initiative, 70,000 high school teachers will receive training to teach Advanced Placement courses in math and science, as this proposal aims to allocate additional funding for the education of American students in math and science.

"That President Bush had the audacity to address education policy was particularly ironic, considering his Republican allies in Congress plan to cut $12.7 billion in financial aid for America's college students," the Young Democrats said.

The president paid tribute to the men and women serving in the military and pledged to continue the war on terror while aiming to bring troops home as quickly as military commanders see fit.

"Ultimately the only way to defeat the terrorists is to defeat their dark vision of hatred and fear by offering the hopeful alternative of political freedom and peaceful change," Bush said.

Bush also condemned the government of Iran for sponsoring terrorism and having nuclear ambitions. He addressed the citizens of Iran and stated that the United States would embrace freedom and democracy in their country.

Anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan, whose son was killed while serving in Iraq in 2004, was arrested in the House gallery prior to the speech by the Capitol Police for refusing to cover the t-shirt she was wearing, which bore an anti-war statement. She had been invited to the speech as a guest of Rep. Lynn Woolsey (D-Calif.).

"I believe that he struck a chord with most Americans when he described the United States as a 'hopeful society,' as evidenced by an instant CNN poll that revealed 73 percent of those surveyed had a somewhat or very positive reaction to his speech," Boguslavsky said.