Greeks discuss party scene, alcohol with '09s

"We Know How to Party," proclaimed a banner hanging above the fireplace in Chi Heorot fraternity's great hall as members of the Class of 2009 entered Thursday evening to learn the ins and outs of the College's Greek party scene. Members of Heorot and Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority organized the event.

KDE president Edy Wilson '06 explained that good behavior during the first few weeks of school will make "Greek houses more apt to let you in."

In explaining "how to party," panelists passed on advice for navigating the Greek social scene while abiding by the College's rules.

Heorot president Schafer Boeder '06 stressed the importance of respecting Safety and Security, explaining that students will receive harsher punishments for bad behavior and an increased probability of Hanover Police involvement.

"They're not bad people," Boeder said of Safety and Security officers. "Be cooperative."

KDE members cautioned first-year students against bringing expensive items to parties and against entering private rooms, gave tips on how to safely socialize in dormitories without upsetting community directors and undergraduate advisors, described Safety and Security walkthroughs and explained the College's policy on bracelets for 21-year-old students.

The panelists also suggested avoiding punches and other mixed drinks served in an open container, whose alcohol content is impossible to ascertain, and stressed the need to monitor drinking habits in general.

"Our favorite memories are the ones we actually do remember," Maile Carter '06 said.

Todd Rabkin Golden '06, of the Good Samaritan Working Group, outlined the College's recently updated "Good Samaritan" policy.

The revised policy allows each student and organization to call Safety and Security an unlimited amount of times without any disciplinary consequences, a change Rabkin Golden said was devised to protect the health of students.

Heorot members also delineated New Hampshire's possession by consumption law, which allows police to charge students for underage alcohol possession in addition to intoxication.

"Your stomach is a container now," Heorot social chair Bart van Veghel '06 said.