Class council feeds seniors, hosts champagne cocktails

Senior Week, that fabled period of pure hedonism before graduation begins, turned Hanover into a zoo for a few days. Relatives and friends descended Main Street looking for food and Dartmouth gear. Meanwhile, many '05s found themselves taking last minute excursions to distant Vermont and New Hampshire locations, trying to experience what the greater Dartmouth region for the last time.

Yet, despite trips to the rope swing or Woodstock, Vt., the campus remained a central location for senior activities. By Wednesday, a majority of underclassmen had vacated the College, leaving Dartmouth and its heavy monsoons to the crowd of mostly seniors. The '05 Class Council took over from here, organizing a plethora of events throughout the week to entertain, feed and clothe seniors during their final week in Hanover.

Class Council kicked off the week with a barbecue on the Gold Coast lawn on Tuesday.

Later that night, Senior Champagne Tails took place in the Top of the Hopkins Center. The most popular and legendary of all senior week activities, the event drew far more than half the graduating class at one point or another.

The first 200 people to arrive at Senior Tails received free champagne glasses with the Dartmouth shield and Class of 2005 printed on its side. According to Senior Executive Committee Vice President Zach Rubeo '05, the gifts were snatched up quickly.

Senior Tails provided '05s an opportunity to conclude the year in style, and this year's weather permitted the gala to expand onto the Top of the Hop's porch. One of the few nights without heavy rain during the week, Senior Tails concluded successfully. The SEC hosted an event Wednesday morning cooking pancakes, french toast and eggs on the porch of Collis, reminding seniors of the traditional "breakfast for a buck" during their freshman year.

The Co-Op hosted a party Wednesday evening to celebrate commencement. The store gave all seniors a 20 percent discount, which encouraged many to purchase diploma frames and the popular black Dartmouth chairs.

Thursday hosted two more eating events with a bagel breakfast at Collis in the morning and free EBAs at Blunt Alumni Center in the evening. The latter event, co-sponsored by Young Alumni at Dartmouth, also unveiled the senior t-shirts, which were handed out for free at the event.

A plain font on the front read, "Dartmouth Senior Week 2005: If we can remember it, we'll never forget it." The back of the shirt commemorated a local community icon by writing, "Dear Class of 2005, Thank you. Love, Jack Stinson."

On Thursday night, Class Council sponsored a "bar crawl," where seniors hopped from one local pub to another, enjoying fresh beer and discounted prices. Rubeo noted sparse attendance at this event, due to torrential rainstorms and strong lightning that discouraged many seniors from.

The official celebrations concluded on Friday evening first with an ice cream reception at the 2005 Class Dean, Carolynne Krusi's, house. Later, students gathered at President James Wright's Webster Avenue home to celebrate the final day before Class Day on Saturday.