SA Pres. candidates clash in Greek debate

The five candidates for Student Body President butted heads over Greek issues and Assembly experience at a debate Thursday night at Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity, as campaigning intensified heading into the weekend.

The contenders backed establishing a seventh sorority on campus, extensive alcohol policy review and deference to Greek leadership on co-ed, fraternity and sorority issues in front of an audience of about 40 students.

Among the campaign promises made, former Student Body Vice President Noah Riner '06 said he would earmark $10,000 of Assembly funds for Greek house renovations -- a "concrete way" for the Assembly to support Greeks.

Brian Martin '06 emphasized the importance of having a "strong Greek voice" in the Assembly. He cited his work on an Assembly statement supporting the recent proposals made by the Social Event Management Procedures committee to Dean of the College James Larimore as a major success.

"We developed a very coherent and impressive response," Martin said of the Assembly's review of recommendations for amending rules governing party registration and kegs.

But Martin's claim of success on SEMP review, a project Martin said has been in the works in the Assembly since December, drew criticism from his fellow candidates.

"I don't think that's necessarily a reflection of success on our part," Mats Lemberger '06 said of the statement. "I think that's merely a recognition on the Assembly's part of the good work of the SEMP committee."

Paul Heintz '06 said Martin's SEMP project only reflected the work of a committee reviewing a different committee that reviewed alcohol policies and made recommendations now being reviewed by Larimore.

"We need to explain exactly what committee we're all on," Heintz said sardonically.

Heintz's lack of an Assembly record elicited a question from an audience member, inquiring into his motivation to aspire to head an organization he has never served.

Heintz defended his outsider status, saying he respected the experience of his peers, who all joined the Assembly their freshman year, but that their results were unsatisfactory.

"They've had three years to make SA more relevant, and they've failed at that," Heintz said of the four other candidates.

At the same time Heintz, a member of Alpha Delta fraternity, consistently defended the qualifications of his three unaffiliated counterparts to represent Greeks in the Assembly.

"I don't think you have to be part of a Greek house to represent all of Dartmouth," Heintz said.

Golden, also unaffiliated, said it is important to have a president with experience outside the Greek system. He referred to his efforts to get house managers CPR-certified and raise students' awareness of their rights, especially with respect to Safety and Security encounters, as demonstrating his ability to address issues of importance to the Greek community without being a member of a house.

"This morning I was working in Dick's House until 3 a.m.," Golden said, referring to his experience working as an EMT on campus.

Psi Upsilon fraternity member Martin, however, called experience in a Greek house an "enormous benefit" for a Student Body President committed to serving the Greek community.

Martin underscored his experience working with College administrators and staff -- accompanying Safety and Security on walk-throughs, "buying lots and lots of beer for the house throughout the week" and organizing social events.

Martin said it is critical to "know thy enemy," referring to the administration.

All five candidates supported ending a moratorium preventing the establishment of a seventh sorority at Dartmouth and agreed that the leadership of Panhell should spearhead the effort with Assembly support.

"Our job's not to take over people's projects but to support them," Golden said of the Assembly's role in the expansion project. "If we can help Panhell in any way, that's what we want to do."

Martin said the Board of Trustees is the only group blocking sorority expansion, and although the "outdated and inaccurate perspectives" on Greek life have evaporated because the "administration realized the [Student Life Initiative] was a mistake," a new, cohesive outlook on Greek life has not yet materialized.

Riner agreed that trustee support is integral, and said he has already garnered support for more sororities on campus from three Board of Trustees members.

"Getting in touch with President Wright's bosses is something that's going to be really key," he said.

Riner emphasized collaboration with Greek leaders throughout the night.

"A big mistake SA made a few years ago was when [former Student Body President Janos Marton '04] was trying to negotiate the alcohol policy kind of by himself," Riner said, "kind of going solo without the Greek leadership."

The debate was sponsored by the Panhellenic Council, Interfraternity Council, Order of Omega and SAE.