Govy Gridlock

Unique things happen at this time of the term -- a lull exists before the storm of finals, it becomes increasingly difficult to hop out of bed for a 10 and Banner Student posts the new schedules for the next term. Unfortunately, for many excited students wishing to take a government course in the next term, their hopes are dashed as they are unable to gain enrollment into the class of their choice. Chances are that you or someone you know can relate to this frustrating occurrence.

Understandably, some departments in the College have specific classes that are exceptionally popular and difficult to gain enrollment. However, students -- seeking everything from introductory classes to upper-level courses -- often experience aggravation at the seemingly systematic enrollment problems in the government department. Students hoping to plan out their future government course load over multiple terms must use pencil.

Something is not right when students have to consistently fight their way into both introductory and advanced classes. Something is not right when more names are on the waitlist for a class than can actually be enrolled in the class.

Underclassmen, especially freshmen, find themselves being locked out of even large introductory classes. As preached by faculty advisers and others, underclassmen are encouraged to explore new fields of study at the College to spur their intellectual curiosity. The liberal arts education is working when students originally interested in biology become government majors. However, such adventurous students must first be able to gain enrollment to government classes to be able to have their curiosity sparked. Prior to Dartmouth, it is unlikely that many students have had the opportunity to learn about comparative politics or international politics. You have to try it to see if you like it. The enrollment problem is preventing students from trying new things or further pursuing their interests.

Through talking with my peers, I have found that a significant source of the frustration is the uncertainty and lack of information about the future of the department. As underclassmen prepare to declare a major, they want and deserve a frank dialogue about the department and its capacity to handle droves of new majors. Simply put, the classes of today and beyond would like to be reassured. Will the status quo continue? What changes have and will be made to alleviate the enrollment issues?

The College has responsibly been addressing the overall issue of class sizes. Decreasing class size is an absolutely vital goal to strengthen the Dartmouth experience. Yet, students are even being locked out of the 50 to 100-person introductory government classes that allow them to take the smaller, more advanced classes. What is being done to allow more students to take government classes without increasing class size?

The popularity of the government department is in part a testament to the quality of the program. It is, in a way, a "good problem" for the College. As for over 200 years, Dartmouth continues to attract future civic leaders. The question is: can the College keep up? Relative to its Ivy League peers, Dartmouth has one of the highest percentages of government majors. Government is consistently one of the most common majors on campus. Students are frustrated with being locked out of government classes because the department offers interesting and exciting classes that students eagerly want to take. Nonetheless, the enrollment problem is still a problem that needs to be aggressively addressed.

Over the past two centuries, Dartmouth has had a proud tradition of producing some of the most foremost political leaders in the nation. A large portion of Dartmouth's most famous alumni were individuals of public service, including Senator Daniel Webster, U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice Salmon Chase to Vice President Nelson Rockefeller and Secretary of Labor Robert Reich. The study of politics has an important niche at Dartmouth. The College's New Hampshire setting provides it with the unique opportunity to experience first-hand the American primary system every four years. The excellent resources of the Rockefeller Center offer students everything from internship opportunities to prominent national political speakers and thinkers.

Students are just as responsible as the administration to maintain the quality of education and life at the College. It is the duty of the Dartmouth students to maintain the pressure on the College to properly address the issues of class sizes and enrollment. If the students live up to this task, the classes of today and tomorrow will benefit from an even stronger undergraduate experience here at Dartmouth.