Misleading on the Draft

It is certainly understandable that The Dartmouth Editorial Board chose to endorse John Kerry for President ("Verbum Ultimum," The Dartmouth, October 22). What is less understandable is that they chose to continue spreading the absurd idea that a draft is in the offing. This is, quite simply, wrong. The only bill proposing a draft was introduced in the House by liberal Harlem Rep. Charlie Rangel, D-N.Y., and defeated 402-2. The Senate version, sponsored by retiring South Carolina Democrat Fritz Hollings, garnered no co-sponsors and died in committee.

Both the civilian and uniformed leadership of the armed forces have repeatedly made clear that they believe a conscript military to be inferior to a volunteer military in every respect, rendering a draft not only unnecessary but actively harmful to the United States' national security. President Bush and every senior member of his administration have publicly agreed with that assessment on any number of occasions, as have John Kerry and his national security advisors, and the congressional leadership of both parties. There is no support anywhere in American government or society for a draft, nor is there the slightest indication that this will change in the future.

The Editorial Board does a tremendous disservice to current students by giving credence to the non-existent threat of a draft. At best, the Board's endorsement reveals its ignorance about the draft issue. At worst, it reveals a lack of concern with the reality when an urban legend will turn draft-age students out for Kerry. Either way, the Board should be ashamed of itself.