Hanover's two oldest stores slated to close

Amid the celebrations of commencement and reunion that are sweeping through Hanover, the town's two oldest stores, Serry's and the Dartmouth Bookstore, have announced that they are closing their doors.

It is perhaps a sign of changing times not only for the town, but also for the country as a whole, that two formerly popular items -- suits and books -- are giving way to newer entertainment and fashions.

Chris Zappala, co-owner of Serry's with his father Sam, said that the time was right for the Hanover institution to close.

"We decided that with the trend in clothing, with people not wearing dressier clothes as regularly, that this would be as good a time as any to close," he said.

David Cioffi, store manager of the Dartmouth Bookstore since 1972, cited declining revenues as a reason for selling Dartmouth Bookstore.

The decline in revenues can be mainly attributed to the bookstore's inability to sell College textbooks. The bookstore had been unable to obtain course syllabi necessary for purchasing textbooks due to a breakdown in relations between the bookstore and the faculty. Cioffi expects the new buyer to sell textbooks again.

The Storrs family has owned the bookstore for 132 years, making it the oldest college bookstore in the country under its original ownership.

The identity of the buyer will be made public during a press conference on Tuesday. Cioffi has said that continuity will remain, including even the store's name. Many of the store's employees, some who have worked there for over 20 years, will have first priority in hiring, Cioffi said.

Zappala waxed nostalgic about the closing of the town's two oldest stores, and said that it was a sign of a changing town.

"It's sad to see old establishments like this close that were destinations for people to find something that they were familiar with," he said.

Cioffi echoed those sentiments, citing the Darwinian nature of business.

"It shows how business in going, and now it's caught up to Hanover," Cioffi said. "It's the survival of the fittest shall we say."

It is ironic that the closing has been announced right before reunions, as the store has been a destination for alumni. Zappala said every reunion many College alumni would return to say high to the employees, many of whom have worked at Serry's for over 30 years. For many years Serry's sold Dartmouth senior jackets, which are no longer sold at all.

Originally located on Main Street, Serry's has been open for 97 years. Starting as a custom tailor, Serry's now sells off-the-rack suits and dress clothes. Zappala expects the building Serry's occupies on Lebanon Street to be sold sometime soon after Serry's leaves in mid-July.

Currently Serry's is holding a wide-ranging closing sale.