Campuses nationwide gear up for college football

One hundred seventeen schools around the country are getting ready for the 2003 NCAA football season. From Troy State to Florida State and from Utah State to Nebraska, every campus gets excited for the fall season. The following are my predictions for the 2003 season, which probably will not all be correct.

If you want something that will definitely happen, I can only guarantee the following: Baylor, Rutgers, Duke, Vanderbilt, Kansas and Temple will all have losing seasons.

Big East Champions- Miami Hurricanes

The Hurricanes appear to have the same firepower as last year's runner-up squad. Florida transfer Brock Berlin will start at quarterback and Frank Gore takes over for Willis MaGahee at tailback after MaGahee was selected by the Buffalo Bills in the NFL Draft last April.

What many people forget is that Gore was the projected starter over MaGahee last season before Gore blew out his ACL. Berlin and Gore team up with tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. and an even better defense, making the Hurricanes a top team. Road games at Florida Sate, Boston College, Virginia Tech and Pittsburgh could stand in Miami's way.

Contenders: Virginia Tech Hokies, Pittsburgh Panthers

The Panthers have been receiving a lot of press as a possible surprise team this year, but I feel Virginia Tech is Miami's biggest threat in the Big East. Tech has Kevin Jones Jr. coming in as one of the top-rated running backs in the country. The pressure is on quarterback Byron Randall to produce. If he doesn't, Marcus Vick (little brother to Michael Vick) is waiting to show his athleticism on the field.

Off-Season Development:

After losing recent scrimmages against local junior-high football teams, Rutgers has decided to call it a year, and forfeit the season. Teams like Miami, Syracuse and Virginia Tech were outraged that they could no longer beat the Scarlet Knights 84-0 again this year.

Key Game: Miami at Virginia Tech, Nov. 1

Big Ten Champions: Michigan Wolverines

I realize that everyone is picking Ohio State as Big Ten Champs again, but I honestly do not see that happening. The off-field distractions surrounding Maurice Clarett and the fact that all other teams will be gearing up to play the reigning national champs leads me to conclude that Ohio State will have a good year, but no national championship.

Since 1950, only two teams have won back-to-back titles and I don't expect this Ohio State team to join that list. Expect the Buckeyes to go 10- 2 with an early loss to either Washington or NC State. Michigan is led by Heisman hopeful John Navarre. An early matchup against Notre Dame will be important not only to avenge last year's defeat at the hands of the Irish, but also to set the tone for this year.

Team that could steal Big Ten Title: Wisconsin Badgers

The Badgers enter the season with two game-breakers on the offensive side of the ball. Plainfield, N.J. native Anthony Davis has run for over 1000 yards in his first two seasons, despite missing a game last season due to a stab wound. Lee Evans at wideout is one of the top receivers in the country after setting a Big Ten record with 1545 yards last season.

Three-year backup Jim Sorgi steps in as the starter at QB and will need to get the ball to Evans for the Badgers to be successful. With easy non-conference games, Michigan not on the schedule and Ohio State at home, the Badgers could win the Big Ten this year.

Key Game: Ohio State at Michigan, Nov. 22

ACC Champion: North Carolina State Wolfpack

The team's success hinges on Heisman hopefuls Phillip Rivers and T.A. McLendon, and a trip to Ohio State on September 13. A loss here will greatly hurt national title hopes and derail Heisman hopes as an early Ohio State loss did to Jason Gesser of Washington State last year. A win against Ohio State will skyrocket NC State in the polls and put them in the national limelight.

Surprise team in the ACC: Virginia Cavaliers

After beating NC State and Maryland at the tail end of the 2002 season and coming off a victory against rival West Virginia in a bowl matchup, the Cavs come into the season with some momentum. The pressure is on quarterback Matt Schaub to recreate last year's magic. The Cavs have to get a couple easy wins against W. Michigan, Troy State and Duke before traveling to NC State and Maryland.

Key Game: Florida State at Virginia, Oct. 18

This will be a big game for both teams for Virginia should be 5-1 or even 6-0 heading in while the Seminoles will probably be coming off a loss to Miami.

SEC Champions: Auburn Tigers

Auburn has one of the best backfields in recent memory. The Tigers have such top-flight running backs that last year's 1000-yard back Ronnie Brown will be third string. Cadallac Williams will start and looks to bounce back after breaking his leg against Florida last year. With three quality rushers, the Tigers can pound the ball in late season matchups against Georgia and 'Bama to lead the Tigers to an SEC title.

Overrated: Florida Gators

The losses of Rex Grossman, Taylor Jacobs and eight starters on defense open the door for Georgia, Tennesse and Vanderbilt to win the SEC East. If you just believed that Vanderbilt will actually win even one conference game, I highly recommend you watch the Commodores play. They are the Rutgers of the South for football with 20 straight losing seasons.

Key Game: Auburn at Georgia, Nov. 15

Big XII Champions: Texas Longhorns

Kansas State, Oklahoma and Texas all came out in the preseason ranking in the top five showing how tough the Big XII will be this year. I chose Texas because there are less reasons to go against them than Kansas State and OU.

I am not sold on Jason White and his bum knees at quarterback and I do not foresee the backups leading OU to a national championship. While the OU defense is top in the nation, it cannot do it all.

I think Kansas State will win the Big 12 North but they often have late season disasters. I do not think KSU can win at Nebraska, versus Mizzou, and at the Big XII championship in four weeks to be in the national title.

Texas has the best wide receiver core in the country with B.J. Johnson and Roy Williams. Chance Mock will replace Chris Simms at quarterback and cannot collapse against OU like Simms often did. With home games against Kansas State and Nebraska, Texas should win the Big 12.

Fact: Kansas State, a team looking for a run at a national championship, has games against Troy State, McNeese State and UMass. Those games will look great in strength of schedule.

Key Game: Red River Shootout, Oklahoma v. Texas, Oct. 11

Pac 10 Champions: Arizona State Sun Devils

Quarterback Andrew Walter is key to the Sun Devils' success. Their schedule is easy enough out of conference to reach 10 wins. Oregon State, with Heisman dark horse Stephen Jackson at running back, will pose the largest threat in the Pac 10.

Key Game: Arizona State at Oregon State, Sept. 27