Pavilion popularity triples in the past year

Dartmouth Dining Service Director Tucker Rossiter does not deny that he prefers Food Court's Philly cheesesteak to the vegetarian fare that is among the specialties served at the Pavilion, Dartmouth's Kosher, Halal and Sakahara dining facility. Yet, when it became clear about a year ago that there was a demand for such food, Rossiter and DDS responded.

Since the Pavilion officially opened its doors last January, the number of students frequenting its tables has tripled from about 50 to approximately 150 students each day, according to Rossiter.

"That's a lot of students for just being open four hours," said Josh Gajer '06, who has worked at the Pavilion since the beginning of Fall term.

Gajer also said that recently he has noticed an increase in the number of people choosing to dine at the Pavilion.

"There have been a lot more people coming by in the first few days of Winter term than in the first days of the Fall term," Gajer said, citing the cookies as a hands-down favorite with students.

Rossiter himself even trekked over to the Pavilion to try a hamburger.

"The food there was very good, but I did find my hamburger a little salty," he said, laughing at the memory.

Others rave about the vegetarian stir-fry and the salad.

"I come to the Pavilion every now and then, maybe three times a week," Bright Yuan '05 said. "I like the salad bar, with the hummus."

Not only is the Pavilion a first for Dartmouth, it is also the first and only public kosher restaurant in the state of New Hampshire.

Besides the Pavilion and The Blend, the newest additions to DDS, Rossiter said that in seeking to provide new dining options to students, DDS is currently discussing an entirely new dining facility.

The new facility is to be built on North Maynard Street alongside the new dorms that are currently also on the drawing board. The projected opening date of the dining facility is some time in 2005.

"It would be a marketplace, meaning something like a bigger Food Court, with a caf bistro, along the lines of Lone Pine with entertainment and such," Rossiter said. "It would also have an emporium, which is taking the idea of Topside, and also adding a platform or deli."

"I eat here everyday," said Rossiter, who has been working at DDS for over 19 years. "We understand the need not to just rotate a menu, but to introduce new concepts so that you will not tire of us."