Muslim students observe Ramadan

As dawn breaks in Hanover, most Dartmouth students are still sleeping. But some campus Muslims are already awake to eat a meal before a day-long fast and pray, all in observance of the holy month of Ramadan.

Ramadan, a month of spiritual contemplation marked by reflection on one's relationship with God -- Allah in Arabic -- and fasting during daylight hours, began Nov. 6 and will continue for one lunar month from that date.

Observing Ramadan is one of the five central aspects of Islamic faith, according to religion professor Kevin Reinhart, and entails abstinence from food, drink and sex during daylight hours throughout the month.

Anywhere from three to 10 students attend group prayers in the morning and evening, according to Al-Nur Muslim student association President Nida Zaidi '04. But some students pray on their own, and she said it is difficult to estimate just how many Muslims attend Dartmouth and how many of them are observing Ramadan.

There are about 50 students on Al-Nur's email list, and about 10 to 15 students who regularly attend Al-Nur events, but many other Muslims may choose not to observe their faith with this group, Zaidi said.

On campus, some Muslim students gather together each morning at Rollins Chapel for a morning prayer. There are no food halls open at this time, but The Pavilion, which provides food obeying Islamic dietary laws, offers prepackaged breakfasts consisting of bagels, fruits and juices for Muslim students to eat at this time.

At sunset each day, Al-Nur hosts another gathering in Rollins Chapel for students to pray and break the daily fast together. Some students break the fast by drinking water, while others do so by eating a date, a traditional custom.

Afterwards, Zaidi said, students walk to The Pavilion for an evening meal. The Pavilion, usually open for dinner from 5:30-7:30 p.m., has extended is currently opening at 4:30 p.m. to accommodate the needs of Muslim students.

Although the idea of fasting all day may seem daunting to many, Muslim students continue with classes, sports and other activities.

"It gives me more time to focus," Zaidi said, "I'm focused on what I need to do rather than worrying about food."

But Zaidi's experience goes far beyond abstaining from food, she added. "It is important to see fasting as more than abstaining from food. It is more spiritual, really trying to connect to God and what one thinks is important."

Saad Quayyum '05 said he has had a similar experience, finding he has "more time for studying," because of the elimination of eating during the day. He has also managed to reconcile athletics with the lack of consumption. Several days ago, he participated in an all-day badminton tournament.

The lack of food was not a major problem, he said.

However, the process is not always easy. At times, the hunger is great and it is tempting to sleep rather than study, Zaidi said. This is one sacrifice that many choose to make in order to focus on their faith.

Orthodox tradition requires all Muslims above age 13 to fast, but makes exception for ill individuals. Al-Nur member Adil Ahmad '05 said he knew of two Muslims who are not fasting are due to illness.

Zaidi encouraged students who are interested in learning more about the Islamic faith to attend a Friday Koran reading session, to come to a morning or evening prayer or evening meal or to ask a practicing friend.

At the end of Ramadan, Muslims traditionally gather to celebrate the conclusion of the period of fasting. The gathering is marked by gifts, celebration and food to commemorate the successful completion of the month.

Usually, Al-Nur holds a celebration at the end of the month of Ramadan. However, because the ending date falls in the period before exams, a small, informal celebration will occur Dec. 5 or 6, and the larger celebration will be held tomorrow. This event, which is open to the campus, will include a celebration and a presentation about Ramadan.