Town announces ID arrests

Tom Allason '02 and David Seidman '04 were arrested earlier this month and released on bail for allegedly manufacturing, selling and possessing false drivers' licenses.

Seidman, a member of Alpha Chi Alpha fraternity who had his own radio show, had previously been indicted by Oregon police for similar charges, Hanover Chief of Police Nick Giaccone said in a press release.

Allason, also a member of that fraternity, is a Bermuda native who played rugby and is known around campus for his slightly British accent.

Together, the two men are alleged to have produced over 100 false drivers' licenses.

The arrests were made on Sept. 3, but Giaccone told the Valley News that he delayed making the arrests public so that the news would have "maximum impact" on returning students.

Dean of the College James Larimore said Dartmouth is conducting its own investigation based on information from the Hanover Police.

Currently, Seidman and Allason's names cannot be found using the Dartmouth Name Directory search in BlitzMail. Larimore would not say whether their names' absence reflected that they had been disciplined by the College.

However, he said that the absence of a student's name may "simply mean that a student is not currently enrolled," or else that a student may have requested for his or her name not to appear in the directory.

Larimore said that it would be premature to discuss how Seidman and Allason might be disciplined, should the allegations be found true.

After Dartmouth's administration goes through a fact-finding process, it will submit any findings to the Committee on Standards, he said.

The COS would then have at its disposal "a full range of sanctions," varying in severity from reprimands to expulsion, Larimore said.

Larimore added that he has not seen a case similar to Seidman's and Allason's since coming to Dartmouth.

He emphasized the seriousness of the crime, saying that reliable forms of identification have become especially more important since Sept. 11.

In a BlitzMail message to The Dartmouth, Mark Davis '03, the president of Alpha Chi -- of which both suspects are members -- said that an internal review committee within Alpha Chi had placed Seidman on "indefinite probation pending the outcome of the investigation."

Davis also said that "if the accusations against Dave [Seidman] are proved to be valid, we will separate Dave from the organization."

Friends who knew Seidman from the College's radio station, where Seidman hosted a popular show, "The Top 9 at 9," consistently expressed shock at the news of his arrest.

Kerrin Egalka '04 described him as an "amazingly nice guy" and "ridiculously bright."

Any student caught using false forms of identification might also be subject to disciplinary action by the College, according to Larimore.

He declined to say how the College might penalize such students, however, as the COS treats all possible violations of Dartmouth's codes of conduct on a case-by-case basis.

Allason and Seidman will be arraigned in Lebanon district court on Nov. 12, according to the Valley News.