Get Out and Register

Today could be the day that decides the direction of our country. It could be the day that you register to vote.

Five student volunteers for candidates in this year's New Hampshire elections have planned a voter registration drive today in Tindle Lounge. It comes at a particularly crucial time. The Democrats control the Senate by the slimmest of margins -- 50 Democrats to 49 Republicans and one Independent -- and a difference of one Senate seat could leave Republicans with control of both houses of Congress in addition to the Presidency.

The New Hampshire race has drawn national attention because it is predicted to be one of the closest in the country. The Republican primary also features an unusually strong challenger, Rep. John Sununu, to the Senatorial incumbent Bob Smith. Either of these candidates would promise a close race against Democratic Gov. Jeanne Shaheen.

The gubernatorial race to replace Shaheen is nearly as close. Gordon Humphrey and Craig Benson are battling for the Republican nomination, while Bev Hollingworth and Mark Fernald are competing in the Democratic primary. These fights promise to lead to a close election in November.

In the Fall of 2000, George Bush took New Hampshire by a slim 7,282 votes and beat Al Gore in one of the closest Presidential elections in history. Keep in mind that 1,000 Dartmouth students registered to vote the day of that election, and you may begin to understand what kind of effect student voters could have on the country this year.

Voters between 18 and 21 are the least likely of any age group to vote in any election in America. Elections may not be on every student's mind. With finals coming up, it's easy to think of reasons not to register to vote tomorrow. But when you walk past a voter registration table in Thayer today, we'd like you to remind yourself of some of the reasons why you should.