Call for Concern

To the Editor:

In a demonstration of a shortsighted attempt at comedy, Andrew Grossman '02 said the following on Dartlog.net on Aug 14th. He was responding to black hairstylists being brought into Dartmouth to fill a demand by the student's African American community.

"Future programs in a similar vein include bringing to campus a small troupe of number-runners and, in the fall, several New York based crack dealers. The Student Assembly is now in the process of creating a committee of New Black Panthers to replace the "Committee on Student Life." Expect an authentic "Ghetto Party" no later then by the end of the fall term."

-- Andrew Grossman

Now let's avoid the freedom of speech argument that inevitably follows these recurring events when self-righteous individuals take their beliefs too far and offend others. Mr. Grossman needs to understand that constitutional liberties are not the issue here.

The issue is not even respect for others. The issue now is self-respect. I write this out of pity for you Mr. Grossman. You have demonstrated your narrow-mindedness and eagerness to generalize. Your inability to understand that your words do actually offend and hurt, and sometimes should not be posted for others to see, has thoroughly embarrassed you.

There is no need to elaborate, or to respond with critique, or an irrelevant plea that you have the right to say whatever you chose. Once you have related the desire for a specific hairstylist to the demand for crack dealers and ghetto parties, you have abused this right.

You, Mr. Grossman, have highlighted the one facet of this college that desperately needs to be altered. The fact that your ridiculous, opinionated comments can be posted on the internet and not precipitate a critical reaction is disturbing. It is time that people who are offended by heartless and racist comments such as yours demonstrated some collective initiative.

This is not a call to the African-American community of Dartmouth; this is a plea for the progressive minded people on this campus. Understand that this unacceptable behavior exists and thrives throughout the campus community and that it needs to be ended. The good fortune that this event occurred towards the end of the term rescues you from the humiliation you deserve.

It is my hope that the people of Dartmouth discover the atrociousness of your quote and understand that opinions such as yours have entrenched racial issues when positive change could have been made. Mr. Grossman, I understand that you have the right to opinion and the right to express your opinion. I too have a right to opinion and speech. I am exhibiting this right by showing you how shallow and bigoted you appear. Please rectify this mistake and demonstrate to us all that this was an error in judgment.