Police investigate assault on local

A Hanover resident was assaulted early Sunday morning during a gathering at 8 School Street, Hanover Police Chief Nick Giaconne said. He indicated suspects have been identified and arrests in the case are imminent.

A resident of a nearby house who spoke with The Dartmouth on condition of anonymity said the victim was an unaffiliated man in his late 20s who claimed that he was beaten by two male Dartmouth students.

The witness first heard people swearing loudly at each other outside 8 School Street. Approximately five minutes after they returned to the house, the witness said he heard "violent sobbing" and, upon going outside, found the victim rolling on the ground with blood on his face.

The victim was moaning, "I didn't mean to crash the party," and told the witness that he had been invited to the house party while walking by earlier that evening. He said he left the party after exchanging insults with a partygoer.

The victim told the student witness that his assailant apologized and invited him back in before proceeding to physically attack him with the aid of another man present at the party.

While outside with the victim, the witness then heard someone from the party yell, "The fuck are you still doing here?" at the victim, to which the victim replied "I still live here." Two unidentified bystanders helped the witness attend to the victim with ice and towels.

When comparing the two times he noticed the victim and could somewhat gauge his condition, the witness said that "there was definitely a before and after."

The witness said he did not take the victim to a hospital because the man claimed that he had no health insurance. The police arrived at 4:06 a.m. and escorted the victim away from the premises.

The two students who, according to the witness, were involved in the incident could not be reached for comment. Students residing at 8 School Street declined to comment.