Profs. interact across departments

Professors at Dartmouth differ in their perceptions of interactions between departments, but one apparent trend shows that a divide still exists between the sciences and the arts.

Many professors do interact frequently for various reasons, but others feel more isolated in their departments.

"Most of the things I do are within my department, but if I need the interactions, I find them," psychology Professor Yale Cohen said.

Other professors had a different perspective, noting that Dartmouth has an environment that is conducive to inter-departmental interaction.

"There is something unique about Dartmouth. The environment fosters collaboration. People are interested in helping their peers," Professor Hany Farid of the computer science department said.

Farid said that he works closely with faculty from cognitive neuroscience, math and earth science. "I can't imagine it being any better than it is," he said.

Biology Professor Matt Ayres shared Farid's views.

"The College has implemented interdisciplinary courses and encourages interaction by being supportive of research collaborations between departments. Those things are positive."

Research requires "bringing together different sets of skills. Other professors can bring stuff to the table that we could not do individually," Farid said.

Interdepartmental interactions occur for a variety of reasons other than research, including faculty seminars, lunches, interdisciplinary courses and advising committees. Faculty seminars can involve a guest speaker, presentation of a paper, discussion and sometimes a meal.

Phyllis Katz, a member of the classics faculty, also commended the College's organization of faculty lunches every Wednesday. Faculty can "have a good lunch at the Hanover Inn at discount prices, which is a good incentive," she said.

Ayres said that he is most commonly involved with other departments through student advising committees. Professor Cathy Cramer of the psychology department agreed, saying that "most interaction is sitting on committees", which helps students, because "professors always have different perspectives."

Professors have also noticed that recently the College has made changes to increase interdepartmental communication. In 1999, Dartmouth instituted the Humanities Center, which has, among others, the goal to "actively pursue interdisciplinary cooperation with all Dartmouth departments and programs."

Government Professor James Murphy noted the establishment of interdisciplinary institutions like the Rockefeller and Dickey Centers as positive changes the College has made to foster communication.

Even though the college has only recently begun to support such interdepartmental communication, according to art history Professor Allan Hockley, "the indications are that it will be fruitful." Hockley already collaborates with the literature and history departments as part of his research.

Theater Professor Mara Sabinson voiced a different view on the changes taking place in the College. Eighteen years ago, she said, "our students weren't as 'professional.' Now there is a hyperintensification of professionalism between students and faculty. It is more bureaucratized."

Sabinson also commented on the campus' use of BlitzMail.

"Everybody emails everybody. That has depersonalized us," she said. "Email is not a creative form of communication ... I would rather meet for lunch or talk on the telephone."

Hockley cited another way by which communication could be increased. "There is a lot that can still be done: student generated action. Students could do a lot more to bring departments together -- through interdisciplinary research and thesis work. That is definitely something that needs to be explored," he said.

Interaction between the arts and sciences presents another area lacking in interaction. Departments tend to collaborate often only with other closely related fields of study.

Terry Osborne, a professor in both the English and environmental studies departments, noted there is "not really much interaction" between the arts and the sciences, he said.