Harvard Greek system rises from the ashes

Recent changes to the undergraduate housing policy, complaints of a poor social life and an institutional crackdown on single-sex social clubs are the seeds for a new development at Harvard University: the Greek system.

Hundreds have gone Greek at Harvard in the last two years, and the school now has five fraternities, two sororities and three all-female clubs. This despite a de-facto ban on single-sex organizations and an almost century-long institutional effort of derecognition because the Greek and club groups violate the school's nondiscrimination policy.

The two sororities and three women's clubs were founded, according to current leaders, to provide Harvard's women with social and networking opportunities, previously only available for more than 400 male undergraduates in the school's eight all-male final clubs.

"Harvard only had males' groups ... the girls were trying to find an outlet," said Thayer Christodoulo, the Vice President of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority. That house was instituted in 1993. The following year, four women who had attended a Theta rush decided to start a second sorority. On Nov. 12, 1994, the Delta Gamma sorority was officially installed.

In 1999, the university instituted a housing policy that made it harder for upperclassmen to live with their friends. This move, students say, broke down the connection Harvard students once had with members of their residential halls, leaving many looking elsewhere for the same sense of pride and belonging.

The popularity of the sororities and clubs -- and the competition to get into them -- exploded in the last few years. This year, 200 women rushed Kappa Alpha Theta; 18 bids were given out.

"When the seniors were freshmen, the competition was nowhere near as great," Christodoulo said. The two sororities, which form a Panhellenic Council, are looking into bringing a third sorority to Harvard to meet the increasing student demand.

The Bee, a female final club, has been turning away three to four times as many as it accepts, although Bee leaders encourage those who don't get in to start a new club.

The Bee was founded in secret in 1991 but has in the last few years raised its profile in an effort to inspire students to form more all-female organizations.

None of the sororities or all-female clubs are recognized by the college. In the late 1970s, the College ceased to recognize final clubs because they violate the non-discrimination policy in their refusal to open their doors to women.

Criticism of the sororities and all-female clubs argues that they exclude a vast portion of the Harvard community, while saying their mission is to provide a solution for the exclusion of women by the all-male clubs.

Others are less concerned. "I think it's whatever you make it. You can choose to do other things. It only bothers people who choose to let it bother them," freshman Natalie Lent said.

Seneca, an all-female club that seeks to promote women's issues, was founded in March 1999 by 19 women. "Our mission is to make the Harvard experience more rewarding for women, to increase awareness for women's issues and to increase networking opportunities," Seneca President senior Alison Fisher said.

While still holding social functions, Seneca is highly involved in women's outreach events, organizing speaker series and networking events for student leaders.

"We don't actively go out and rush people like the final clubs do. It's open to anyone that's interested," she said. Around 100-200 people apply each year, while 15-25 get in. Currently there are approximately 50 members.

A third all-female club, named Isis, was founded in spring 2001 by 16 women.

Leaders from the sororities and all-female clubs say they expect similar organizations to be founded in the near future.

"I'm sure that there will be new groups of all kinds," Fisher said. "I hope that there's more like us."