Celebratory air returns to Carnival opening ceremony

The atmosphere at last night's Winter Carnival opening ceremonies was jovial and celebratory, a change from recent Carnivals that have been overshadowed by campus events.

Three years ago, the Trustees announced the Student Life Initiative just prior to the start of Carnival, leading Greek members to protest during the ceremonies. Last year's festivities were marred by the recent deaths of Professors Half and Susanne Zantop.

With red flares bobbing in the clear, cold night air, Dartmouth athletes paraded around the Green before gathering between the stage and the central sculpture to start the ceremony.

After opening remarks by Carnival co-chair Ryan Bennett '04, College President James Wright addressed the crowd. In a brief speech, Wright spoke about the tradition of Winter Carnival, now in its 92nd year.

To conclude, Wright joked that he would take part in today's Polar Bear Swim at Occom Pond, drawing cheers and applause.

Men's alpine ski team captain Eric Reinhardt '02 discussed prior Winter Carnivals as fun occasions replete with formal balls and large crowds at sporting events.

Though he questioned whether the Initiative had caused the apparent decline in spirit, he assured the audience that "our ties to tradition still remain."

Organizers said that efforts to erect this year's sculpture, a brightly-lit representation of the Emerald City from "The Wizard of Oz," were hampered by a small work crew consisting largely of freshmen.

A lack of quality snow also made construction difficult, Bennett added.

Despite these faults, "we really have come together as a Dartmouth family," Bennett said. He remained optimistic that next year, organizers will attract more volunteers.

Other organizers kept a sense of humor about the sculpture. Tim Zeitler '03 said that it was a "modernist 'Wizard of Oz,'" and Austin Brey '05 pointed out that "the lights really help."

Between speakers, the Decibelles and the Aires sang animated renditions of "Dartmouth Undying" and "Winter Song" for the several-hundred students and athletes gathered for the ceremony.

The ceremonies closed with a singing of the "Alma Mater" by the two a cappella groups, followed by cookies and hot chocolate in the Collis Center.