Are students shifting to the right?

The events of Sept. 11 may have sparked a trend toward conservative attitudes among American college students.

According to a survey published by SheThinks.org, an online magazine for college-aged readers sponsored by the Independent Women's Forum, over 90 percent of students say that the terrorist attacks on the United States have impacted their lives in some capacity.

Thirty-two percent said they are more likely to pray, and 24 percent feel more motivated to volunteer.

According to SheThinks associate editor Kate Kennedy, the Independent Women's Forum is "a counter-organization to the National Organization for Women." The group seeks to represent a more conservative perspective than most feminist organizations.

"The 11th was so defining, and the letters we received at SheThinks were so moving that we thought we might be looking at a fundamental change in the college population," Kennedy said.

Even though 55 percent of the 600 students surveyed consider themselves liberals -- compared to 39 percent who define themselves as conservative -- 75 percent said that they approve of Bush's actions as president.

"It is unprecedented support for a Republican president," Kennedy said.

She admitted, though, that this statistic is not remarkable considering the high support that Bush enjoys among other sectors of the population.

"He is a wartime president," Rebecca Molinoff '02, president of Dartmouth's Women in Leadership organization, said. "High approval ratings are expected."

Students also overwhelmingly rated family as something that is important to them. Around 90 percent responded that their family was an "extremely high" priority, and 50 to 63 percent consider religion and patriotism very important as well.

"We were surprised how highly students rated family," Kennedy said. "It did not used to be cool to admit that family mattered."

The survey's results indicate a revival in the importance of character, she said.

"I am reminded of how Bob Dole tried to bank on character during his campaign," Kennedy said. "People laughed, but the 11th was a wake-up call."

None of the students who responded to the survey were from Dartmouth, according to William Stewart of the Tarrence Group, a Republican polling organization that conducted the poll for IWF.

When questions similar to those posed by Tarrence were asked of students on this campus, the responses were less conclusive.

Kate Knowles '02 said that while Bush is doing as well as he could in regards to his response to terrorism, she would still have preferred Gore as president. Alex Rolfe '02 was also unsure about the president's actions.

"I approve of a lot of what Bush has done, but I am hesitant about his 'axis of evil' announcement in the State of the Union," Rolfe said.

Students interviewed by The Dartmouth also reported less change in their attitudes due to the terrorist attacks.

"Praying and volunteering were things I already did," Kate Anderson '02 said. "I've also always considered family important to me."

The larger trend toward patriotism could still be evident, though.

"Campuses are becoming more traditional, in terms of thinking that American values are something to be proud of and fight for," Molinoff said. "The flag used to be just something that working-class people flew on their porches, but now it's less of a class symbol."