Fall term marked by tragedy, healing

It was no ordinary term.

Searing images of the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon and thoughts of war in Afghanistan lingered in students' minds throughout Fall term. Closer to home, the attempted rapes of two female students and continued investigations into the Zantop murders further shook the campus.

Attacks on two female students occurred early on the morning of Nov. 11, the first outside of the Lodge and the second outside of Streeter Hall several hours later.

The perpetrator of the attacks has not been identified. Chief of Police Nick Giaccone said yesterday that the Hanover police have received no new leads and are investigating no new suspects, but that they are continuing to look into the case.

Witnesses have described the assailant as a young, possibly college-aged black man, who stands about 6 feet tall and has a slim build.

Several days after the attacks, a student was pulled out of Food Court and questioned by several police officers when an eyewitness reported to the Hanover Police that he strongly resembled the assailant.

Police later said the student was not a suspect.

The Sept. 11 attacks and the resulting military conflict in Afghanistan made headlines in Dartmouth publications and stirred debate on campus.

Panel discussions about the attacks and their aftermath drew crowds as large as 200. Several visiting lecturers, including Indian author and journalist M.J. Akbar, former Surgeon General C. Everett Koop '37, and Israeli journalist Danny Rubinstein, spoke about topics relating to the attacks.

Enrollment in courses relating to the Middle East and Islam, such as Introductory Arabic and Intro to the Islamic World, rose sharply.

The nation's economic slowdown also impacted the Dartmouth community. President Wright announced at an October faculty meeting that the construction of the proposed Tuck Mall dorms would be delayed indefinitely, due in part to financial difficulties.

The ever-present housing shortage was exacerbated this fall when an unusually high percentage of admitted freshmen matriculated at Dartmouth.

In order to alleviate the problem, the Office of Residential Life constructed six temporary dorms, known as the Tree Houses, near the River Cluster.

Shortly after Winter term ended, James Parker,18, pleaded guilty to the murder of Dartmouth professors Half and Suzanne Zantop. Prosecutor Kelly Ayotte recommended that Parker receive a sentence of 25 years to life.

Robert Tulloch, 17, who was also accused of the murders, will be tried in April. His lawyers plan to use an insanity defense.

The Greek Leadership Council's decision to allow freshmen to attend Greek parties was met with widespread approval. A number of organizations continued to keep their doors closed to freshmen during at least some parties, however.