College VP/Treasurer calls it quits

Dartmouth College Vice President and Treasurer Win Johnson '67 announced yesterday that he is stepping down from his position at the College.

Johnson, who also serves on The Dartmouth's Board of Proprietors, has worked with the College for almost 20 years and has held his current position for the past four.

However, his decision to step down did not come as a surprise to many of his colleagues, including senior College officials. For some time now, Johnson has expressed a desire to move on and try something different in his life.

"I never expected to be Vice President," said Johnson. "I took a sudden right turn in my life instead of a left. It came as quite a surprise."

Provost Barry Scherr, who has worked closely with Johnson, said, "Win [Johnson] will be missed. He is an easy person to talk to and has a good long-range sense of the institution."

A committee to conduct a nationwide search for Johnson's replacement will be set up and chaired by Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Jamshed Bharucha.

Johnson has offered to continue to work with the College after his successor is found in order to make the transition process run smoothly.

He expects the transition period to last 18 months and the process to last until January 2003.

"I want to do something new in my life," Johnson said. One possibility he is considering is natural resource work -- specifically, rural planning, although he has not decided on anything definite.

Johnson currently has no plans to leave the area and will continue to live at his home in Brownsville, Vermont.

He says he will miss his colleagues at Dartmouth. "My staff is very competent and full of great people," said Johnson. "Having such a great staff behind me has helped me decide what I want to do."