Upper Valley groups organize relief efforts

As funds and supplies raised by communities across the nation flow into New York City, residents of the Upper Valley can take pride in their community's efforts to aid victims of the recent terrorist attacks.

The Upper Valley United Way has already received over $16,000 in donations to the Sept. 11th fund, according to Rich Stamp, the organization's executive director.

Some local residents have also made credit-card donations directly to the New York City United Way via the web, Stamp said.

While the United Way welcomes aid in any form, he said that donations via the web "eliminate bureaucracy" and ensure that funds reach the victims more quickly.

According to Stamp, donations will still be needed during the coming weeks, as efforts switch from search and rescue operations to the long-term process of rebuilding and restoring the area.

Brianna Driscoll, regional manager of the Red Cross, said that many projects to raise funds for the Red Cross have been initiated by members of the community.

A local elementary school has collected over 300 lbs. of pennies, she said. Several car dealerships have challenged each other to raise money, and customers at local banks can donate to a special account set aside for the Red Cross.

She added that there have been numerous small-scale events organized to raise money for the Red Cross, such as bake sales and car washes at local schools.

Ten local residents trained as members of a Disaster Action Team have volunteered in New York, and at least six others have begun training, according to Driscoll.

Although the national Red Cross has focused on fundraising rather than gathering supplies because of the difficulties involved with transporting supplies to New York, Driscoll said that the Red Cross does need toiletries to replenish its stock of comfort and clean-up kits.

As disasters like this one are so unpredictable, the Red Cross always has kits ready to send to victims. Since so many have been used to aid victims in New York and Washington, it may take some time to replenish the Red Cross's supply, Driscoll explained.

While many students have only recently returned to campus, various community service groups have started making plans to help with the relief efforts.

Allison Giordano '04 and Zachary Leghorn '04, heads of the East Wheelock Cluster's community service program, are already planning to focus on raising funds for the Red Cross, according to Giordano.