The D's dictionary -- lingo 'shmen should know

Editor's Note: This guide to terminology at Dartmouth is written for humorous purposes and is meant to be taken tongue-in-cheek. While some of these terms may actually be used, this is by no means a comprehensive guide.

Bema (proper noun): Although the name originates from the ancient Greek word for sanctuary, the the big, empty meeting area is known to most students as the Bema, the site for goofy pre-freshman trip bonding activities.

best ever (adj.): Dartmouth in general. Or, phrase used to describe anyone or anything that makes one happy, even just the slightest bit.

blitz (verb): To send an electronic mail message using the College's BlitzMail computer program (noun), which will take over your life and become your main form of communication for the next four years. You will come to love this verb and noun pair.

circuit (noun): Consists of going, usually in a group, to a series of Greek houses in one night to socialize.

crunchy (adj.): Used to describe a long-haired, wool socks and birkenstocks-clad DOC member often found eating Collis entrees out of a reusable container or recycling.

DBA (noun): Your meal plan --a "Declining Balance Account" that pays for all of your food on campus.

The D (noun): You're reading it -- the only source of daily news at the College.

derecognized (adj.): Derived from the action taken against some fraternities recently. Describes someone or something that is not liked.

drill (noun): The foundation of the Rassias method of language learning. Drill consists of waking up at 7:45 every morning to have someone snap his or her fingers at you and demand that you speak in a language you do not yet fully understand. Did we mention at 7:45 a.m.?

EBAs (proper noun): Everything But Anchovies, a Hanover culinary institution which delivers pizza, chicken sandwiches and other local delicacies until 2 a.m. every night. The ultimate in performance fuel.

F.S.P. (Foreign Study Program): Your chance to spend a term in a foreign country and get College credits. See "LSA."

gut (noun): In theory, a course that you would feel kind of guilty taking when your parents are paying $30,000 a year for you to come here. Some people like to brag they take guts, but they are usually the ones that are a lot less picky about their GPAs. The fact of the matter is, nearly all courses at Dartmouth necessitate a healthy amount of work to score an A.

Hangover, N.H. (proper noun): A slang term for the town in which Dartmouth is located; the term's origin is unknown, though it may be no coincidence that "hangover" comes up as the first suggestion when spell-checking "Hanover."

Hanover Po (proper noun): Law Enforcement officials from the town of Hanover. Students should not be inebriated when having a conversation with a member of this group, especially if they are under 21. Run -ins with Hanover Po tend to be worse than encounters with S & S. See "S & S."

HB (proper noun): The abbreviation for Hinman Box, the cubbies in the Hop where students can pick up their mail ... or as is sometimes the case, look for mail, then feel alone and depressed after finding it empty.

HTH (noun): "Home Town Honey" -- that special someone you pledged your eternal love to in Smalltown, U.S.A., and whom you will forget about by mid-October.

issues (noun): a vague term describing anything that causes you grief from the opposite sex to tons of homework, as in "I'm having some serious issues with him."

LSA (noun): Ten weeks of "studying" a language in a foreign country, often referred to as an "L.S.Play." Considered a reward after two terms of drill.

mung (noun): Found covering every fraternity basement floor. A combination of beer, boot and other fun things. Tends to stick to shoes and smells for days.

Parkhurst (verb) (to get Parkhursted): An interesting leave term option available at Dartmouth named for Parkhurst Hall, the building which houses dozens of domineering Dartmouth deans. To have the administration tell -- not ask -- you to take a bit of a vacation. Not advised.

pong (noun): The drinking game of choice in most Greek basements. Requires a plywood table, a pair of paddles, a ping pong ball and at least four cups of liquid beverages. Serves and returns must be lobbed, and it's bad form to boot too soon; there are several varieties involving different formations and numbers of drinks. The most common include two cup, shrub and tree.

rage (verb): To drink and cavort, to socialize and have a good time, all to a higher degree than merely "to party."

random (adj.): Weird, out-of-place, anachronistic. Can also be used, as a noun, to refer to any non-Dartmouth student who invades the campus on big weekends like Homecoming, Winter Carnival and Greek Key.

S & S (noun): Our friends in green. Short for campus police, otherwise known as Safety and Security, uninvited guests at freshman gatherings. They are often mistaken for EBAs delivery men.

'shmen (noun): You, at least for the next year!

'shmenu (noun): The "Green Book" cataloguing the photographs and home addresses of the freshmen class. The scammer's bible " allows you to scope without leaving your room.

'shmob (noun): The preferred travel mode of freshmen, 'shmobs consist of 4 or more 'shmen who may or may not have been previously acquainted with one another, traveling around campus in a group during the first weeks of Fall term.

sketchy (adj.): A terribly vague term for someone who does things your mother would not approve of, and neither would you.

Snood (proper noun): Computer game that is the preferred method of procrastination for many a Dartmouth student. Warning: After playing too many games of Snood, you will see the snoods when you close your eyes.

'tails (noun): A social event serving cocktail beverages, or a shortened name for the drinks themselves. Usually a somewhat more intimate and quiet gathering than raging frat parties.

walk of shame (noun): That long walk across campus following an embarassing hook-up, usually involving excessive alcohol consumption. A downcast shuffle in which the person, disgraced, attempts to avoid being seen while returning home in the clothes worn the night before.