Brits find yankee Dartmouth dandy

One if by land, two if by sea, three if by university exchange programs.

As part of an ongoing partnership with British universities, four Oxford University students and three students from the University of Edinburgh are studying at Dartmouth this Summer term.

The heat, small town atmosphere, scholastic freedom and 21-year-old drinking age were all noted differences between college life in Hanover, USA and the cities of Britain.

"The social life is completely different because not only do we have an 18 drinking age but we're in the center of the city, so our social stuff tends to revolve around going clubbing and going to bars," Victoria Markland, an exchange student from Oxford, said.

"So it was pretty weird when we first got here because I kept wanting to go out all the time, and then I was like, 'there's no where to go but to frats to play pong,'" she said.

Terence Holden, an exchange student from Edinburgh, has a similar view of Hanover social life. "Edinburgh being a city, there are obvious differences in social life. We do not have any frats or anything, and to us British students they are rather a strange concept," he said.

Markland said that back home her friends warned her to stay away from the Greek houses. "People had warned me about the frats before I came. They were like, 'Oh, be really careful they're such scary dangerous places. So the first few times I went there I was very trepedatious, but I haven't had any bad experiences."

Dartmouth students also take advantage of the program to travel across the Atlantic. The philosophy department sends 15 Dartmouth students to Edinburgh each fall to on a foreign study program.

The Rockefeller Center and Off-Campus Programs, in conjunction with the economics and government departments, enroll up to 12 students per year in Oxford's tutorial-based academic system.

According to the British exchange students, they are given much more academic freedom and classes are run more flexibly at Dartmouth.

"Students tend to speak out a lot more during class. At home it tends to be more tightly structured in that there will be a specific time for listening and a time for discussion. On a whole in America it seems that students are more free in what they study," Holden said.

The over 21 drinking age also drew some complaints from the students. "The first couple of times I went out for a meal I couldn't have a glass of wine with my dinner. I was sort of sitting there seething with rage," Markland said.

Other than the ability to buy alcohol, Markland said she also misses people from home. "I miss my friends, my family, my computer. They didn't give us a computer which absolutely sucks because we have to run over to Thayer all the time to check Blitz."

Three Edinburgh professors have also journeyed across the Pond. Husband and wife philosophy professors Rae Langton and Richard Holton are teaching at Dartmouth for the summer.

Both professors say that Dartmouth's small classes allow them to form personal relationships with the students, something hard to do in their university's large, lecture type classes.

"You really get to know the students in the class, which is something we tend not to do in Edinburgh, we tend to lecture to big audiences," Holton, who is teaching a philosophy course entitled "Free Will and Responsibility," said. "Here, by the end of nine weeks you really know the people well, you know their work, you've got a good sense of them. It makes for a much better relationship between students and faculty."

"We couldn't possibly give the sort of individual attention to students that Dartmouth students get here," Langton, who is teaching a course in the philosophy department entitled "Feminism and Philosophy," said.

"The students on the whole are quite committed and they do the reading ahead of the class. It also means that they are more keen to negotiate if their grades aren't what they're happy with," Langton added.

Students' attitudes are also different. Dartmouth students are much more optimistic and respectful than their peers across the Atlantic, Holton said. "British students are more cynical in general ... students here are more idealistic."

Holton's only complaint? "It's very hard to get a good cup of tea here."

Both said that, being in America before as graduate students at Princeton, life in the States wasn't too hard to get used to.

However, there was one time when unfamiliar traditions and word-play combined to give Langton a unique view on America.

"In one of my early sessions, some of my students told me there were advertisements in the local papers for people wanting to buy ovaries" of Dartmouth students, she said.

"And I thought, wow, I'm really in America now - if the female students, good Ivy League women, are being recruited for their genetic endowments. And then the next week I was walking past one of the fraternity houses and a sign said, 'Tubes For Sale' ... I thought, 'Only in America.'"

The next week, she added, she learned about Tubestock.