Tubestock's future is uncertain

The 15th annual Tubestock planned for this Saturday is in danger of being broken up by officers of the New Hampshire Marine Patrol if an event permit is not obtained.

In the past, Chi Heorot fraternity alumus Richard Akerboom '80 has obtained the permit weeks in advance of the event, Marine Patrol Lieutenant Tim Dunleavy said.

Until contacted by The Dartmouth yesterday, the marine patrol was unaware that Tubestock was taking place this weekend. Although Dunleavy did not say it was too late to obtain a permit, he mentioned that students would have to act quickly so that there would be time for officials to approve a permit request.

"Without a permit, the possibility exists that [Tubestock] will be broken up," Dunleavy said. "We can't force people out of the water -- every person has a right to use the river -- but if there anything that resembles an organized gathering on the water, they will be asked to move on."

The permit itself is free, but the permit-holder must pay for the officers and boats which are assigned by the marine patrol to monitor the event. Tubestock, which usually lasts four hours, could end up costing about $560.

Dunleavy said that in the past, the marine patrol has assigned a minimum of four officers and two patrol boats.

Both Dunleavy and Captain Chris O'Connor of the Hanover Police noted that in the past Tubestock has been relatively uneventful.

"The only issues we've had to deal with is parking on West Wheelock Street, but that hasn't been a problem for a few years," O'Connor said.

"Early on in the event's history we did have a problem with some impaired persons on rafts that weren't very safe," Dunleavy said, but added that people are allowed to put any sort of raft in the water as long as they remove it at the end of the day.

The 2003 Class Council, which initially considered sponsoring Tubestock but later had to back out due to lack of College recognition, was not aware that the event required a permit.

Despite the lack of a permit, Heorot is continuing its tradition of selling inner-tubes to both affiliated and non-affiliated students who would like to join in the festivities.

Students living at the River Ranch, an off-campus student house that overlooks the Connecticut River, were also unaware of the need for a permit. They are still planning to have student musicians play on their balcony, which has been the traditional site of the Tubestock band.