'03s seek to save Tubestock

by Tracy Landers | 7/13/01 5:00am

Since its inception in 1987, Tubestock has only been an unofficial Dartmouth event, sponsored by Chi Heorot fraternity alum Rick "Boomer" Akerboom '80, but plans are now underway for Tubestock to receive College recognition.

The change comes about after 13 years because Akerboom decided to discontinue his support for the event this year. He would not comment on his decision.

Thus, "this year the responsibility falls on us, the students," to organize Tubestock, said 2003 Class Council Vice President Svante Horn.

Members of the council, including Horn as well as 2003 Class Council President Tim Whelan, are planning to meet with Dean of Student Life Holly Sateia and other deans within the next few days to discuss the future of Tubestock.

Should Tubestock become affiliated with Dartmouth, however, significant changes will have to take place, council members realize.

"If it does receive support from the administration we'll have to abide by much more stringent rules, which translates to no alcohol or nudity," said Whelan.

"As far as any programming ideas go, the administration is more than happy to make them happen; however, when an event becomes a College recognized event, there are certain parameters and constraints that have to be dealt with," said Dean of Student Life Holy Sateia.

In the past, the College has maintained complete separation from the event due to liability issues.

Students have not been permitted by the College to enter or exit the river from the New Hampshire shore, facing troubles with Safety and Security patrolling the area if they got caught.

This problem has traditionally been avoided by students trekking across Ledyard Bridge and using the Vermont shore.

Another tradition that goes along with Tubestock is live music.

At the first Tubestock, Akerboom played with his band on the deck of his house, the "River Ranch," in front of approximately 200 people.

Since then, students floating down the river each year have been serenaded by various bands hired by Akerboom to play on the river's shore.

As the event has yet to be organized this year, the possibilities for live music are limited. Whelan said he is trying to find a student band from Dartmouth or Boston to play next weekend.

Despite the uncertainty of this year's Tubestock, many of the Greek houses have already begun the construction of their rafts, and are optimistic that the event will still take place.

"I'm sure Tubestock will happen, even if it's put together informally by students," said Whelan, who is also a member of Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity.