Upper Valley offers sumptuous dining on any budget

Green Key weekend offers the perfect opportunity to take friends and family out for a meal in Hanover or in nearby White River Junction or West Lebanon.

Whether a returning alum or a starving student, the Upper Valley can cater to you culinary needs 24-hours-a-day.

Here in Hanover, Cafe Buon Gustaio at 72 South Main St. is the place to go for fine Italian cuisine. The menu includes an extensive selection of pasta, seafood and salads. The atmosphere inside is cozy and even romantic, while the tables outside also offer a pleasant place to eat when the weather is nice. Reservations and business casual dress are encouraged. 643-5711.

If all you want is pizza or something simple, Everything But Anchovies, 5 Allen St., is one of your best bets. Pizza comes in sizes from 8 to 24 inches with 26 different toppings available. They offer late night delivery until 2 a.m. Dress is casual. 643-6135.

The Hanover Inn has two dining rooms to choose from.

The Daniel Webster Room is the more formal choice and is often praised for having some of the best food in New Hampshire. The cuisine is superb and the wine list extensive, so it will please even the most seasoned food and wine critics. Entrees range from sirloin to oysters. It is one of the more expensive places to eat, but if you appreciate quality and presentation then The Daniel Webster Room is worth the price. They also serve the most elegant and comprehensive Sunday Brunch around. Nice dress is suggested, and entrees usually range between $20-$30.

Zin's Wine Bistro, also located at the Inn, is more casual, but still offers magnificent international cuisine. While the more adventurous might try the wild mushroom tart as an appetizer, the more cautious can also get a simple hamburger. Dinner ranges between $10-$20 and business casual dress is suggested. Reservations are accepted. 643-4300.

Molly's Restaurant and Bar, at 43 South Main St., is a perfect place to meet other Dartmouth students. Oftentimes waiters and waitresses are students of the College and prove their smarts by writing their name upside-down. The Dartmouth and Hanover memorabilia displayed on the walls makes the atmosphere comfortable and friendly. The imaginative pizzas, pastas, burgers, sandwiches, full dinners and excellent fresh baked bread while you wait won't allow you to walk away hungry. You can expect to pay $6-$8 for lunch and $10-$20 for dinner. Reservations suggested for larger groups. 643-2570.

Murphy's on the Green, located at 11 South Main St., offers a variety of homemade soups, hot sandwiches, pastas, and an extensive collection of domestic and imported beer and ale in a pub-style atmosphere. It has been voted the most popular restaurant in the Upper Valley since 1996, so reservations are suggested for larger groups. Lunch and dinner range between $9-$17. 643-4075.

Jewel of India, the white house at 27 Lebanon St., serves a good sample of North Indian cuisine. Apparently a favorite of faculty and staff, the wide range of Indian breads and curry dishes can please any food connoisseur. The setting is casual, but reservations are highly recommended. 643-2217.

Another popular choice for pizza is Ramunto's Brick and Brew at 68 South Main St. They are rumored to have the best New York style pizza in town. Lunch and dinner is under $10 and casual dress is expected. 643-9500.

Lou's Restaurant and Bakery, 30 South Main St., is said to offer the best breakfast in Hanover. Order the Big Green or maybe just some homemade pancakes. The diner setting serves traditional American fare, but make sure to save plenty of room for dessert. The pies, cakes, and pastries are favorites of many students. Prices are reasonable, $5-$7 for breakfast or lunch. Lines can be long Sunday mornings, but it usually doesn't take long to get a table. 643-3321.

Patrick Henry's, 39 South Main St., has a classic New England tavern atmosphere. Walk down the narrow stairs and into the cozy restaurant with wood-carved booths and smaller tables in the center of the restaurant. The double-decker club sandwich, fish chowder, and shepherd's pie are all local favorites. They also offer an extensive salad bar. Dinner ranges between $10-$15. 643-2345. Reservations not necessary.

Outside of Hanover, surrounding towns offer their own culinary delights.

If you have the urge for a midnight snack, head to Fort Lou's on Heater Road in Lebanon which offers the same breakfast and lunch menu as Lou's, as well as a dinner menu and more space for large parties 24 hours a day. 448-5512.

Lui Lui's, in the Powerhouse Shopping Plaza in West Lebanon, is a causal pizzeria with a wood-fire stove to add flavor to the pies. For a change from Main Street, the pizzas and pastas can be worth the drive out of Hanover. Individual specialty pizzas usually are about $8-$9 with pastas at a comparable price. 298-7070.

Sweet Tomatoes Trattoria, at 1 Court St. in Lebanon, is one of the favorite Italian restaurants in the area. The delectable pasta dishes are always a good choice. Otherwise, chicken, oven-fired pizza and wood-roasted vegetables are also available. Dinner ranges between $10-$15 and dress is casual to a little nicer. 448-1711.

Jesse's Restaurant & Tavern on Rt. 120 creates a log cabin feel with the wood-paneled interior and large mounted moose head. The restaurant specializes in steak and seafood, but there is also an extensive salad bar. Dinners usually range between $10-$20 and business casual dress and reservations are highly recommended. 643-4111.