An Institutional Responsibility

As word of the Zeta Psi fraternity incident spreads among alumni, I can't help but feel absolutely frustrated at the College's perpetually turning a blind eye to the systemic nature of fraternity problems. We've been here before; no doubt, unless something major changes, we'll be here again.

If you've been associated with Dartmouth long enough (and I have only been associated with it just over a decade; for those around longer, this must be intolerable), the cycle is almost laughably predictable:

1. Sexist/racist/homophobic/generally offensive fraternity behavior, basically occurring everyday, happens to be exposed to the public.

2. The Dartmouth runs several front page stories publicizing the incident, hoping for increased circulation.

3. College expresses surprise and regret ("They only last week helped rake leaves in front of Baker.") and immediately announces an investigation.

4. Meanwhile, the letters to the editor page of the Dartmouth fills up with anti-Greeks calling for abolition, brothers defending their frat ("How could Zete?! We at Psi U would never do that! All we do is baby-sit homeless puppies all day and night."), and sisters admitting there are problems but still, the parties really are nifty.

5. The national fraternity gets in the mix and puts the local affiliate on suspension/probation/parole, maybe even expulsion, because, after all, no other school's affiliate would ever do this.

6. The alums get wind of the story, filling the letters to the editor page with stories of the good ol' days ("We never did that; we went to Smith to wreak havoc there instead!") or their anti-frat war stories, unfortunately all unsuccessful.

7. The professors call for abolition (but that happens at every faculty meeting, right?).

8. As the investigations go on and apologies are issued, cries for change become less frequent and fade into the background.

9. Fall/winter comes -- time to rush!

Every incident is slightly different, but the players, reactions and ultimate results are the same.

By refusing to take responsibility and letting this same fruitless cycle leading to retention of the status quo take place each time, the College is implicitly endorsing the hostile environment the fraternities create on campus. Maybe if there were only one or two incidents we could say the College is not responsible. But when this same situation occurs year in and year out, the College is wholly responsible for doing nothing to change the abusive atmosphere created by the fraternities.