Should prof. pay be merit based?

Vanderbilt Professor, John Lachs, has asked the school to consider allowing students to allocate between five and 10 percent of their tuition to their professors based on merit, triggering discussion and questions for Dartmouth.

Recently the Student Assembly also adopted a program to recognize outstanding teachers. Gift certificates will be awarded at the end of the term to faculty in "recognition for excellent teaching and student interaction" according to Student Assembly President Jorge Miranda '01.

Miranda expressed that in his opinion the College places more of an emphasis on "research as opposed to emphasizing good teaching." The general feeling is that research is more important for professors interested in getting tenure.

According to Miranda, "research is preventing professors from interacting with and teaching students to the best of their ability."

Similarly, Lachs told the Vanderbilt Hustler newspaper that he thinks that if his plan is adopted it will prove that Vanderbilt is "serious about improving the quality of teaching and encouraging other universities to take similar steps."

In Lachs' proposal the allocated money would supplement the standard salary for all professors and in turn raise the teaching standards expected by students, wrote the Vanderbilt Hustler.

Through the faculty recognition program, the Student Assembly aspires to show that "we do care about excellent teaching and we appreciate it," Miranda said.

Miranda continued, "Hopefully in the future the College will do more to recognize good teaching."

Jane Carrol, assistant dean of faculty, admitted that "there is a perception that research is used as a yardstick," but it is not the reality.

In fact, Carrol pointed out that despite rumor, teaching ability is seriously considered. "We try to gather at least 20 letters from students when considering faculty for tenure or promotion," Carrol noted.

"Both pieces [teaching and research] must be in place for us to consider someone seriously," Carrol said.

"There isn't a strict percentage or formula that we use. It is done on an individual basis."

Carrol encourages discussion about the issue. "I think it's a good dialogue to bring up. The worst thing is when there are rumors without merit," Carrol said.

Miranda explained the Student Assembly's plan of action. "Once we complete the process of talking to teachers, then we'll talk to the President and Dean."