A Letter of Hope

President Bush: Twelve days ago, you put your hand upon the same Bible that your father and George Washington had before you and swore to uphold the laws of the United States. And with that act, you began your tenure holding the most powerful job in the world. There will always be some who question your legitimacy, and some who are waiting for you to stumble. But the vast majority of Americans, whether they voted for you or not, want you to succeed. At the end of your term, when you board Marine One for the last time and wave a cheerful good-bye to the American people, we hope that you leave the country a better place than it was when you received the reigns of power.

Like millions of Americans, I watched you take the oath and deliver the speech that followed looking to find new hope in a system that has lost some of its luster. It must have been humbling to stand on the marble steps of the majestic Capitol building, to hear our anthem sung and to gaze down the National Mall towards the Lincoln Memorial, which immortalizes the beloved father of the Republican Party. The tears in your eyes showed a genuine respect and awe for the grandeur of the office you will hold and the nation that you will lead. To me, these tears did not show weakness, but were recognition of the strength of our Union, which is bigger than any one man.

Your speech told us that you have faith in the fundamental goodness of the American people. You reminded us to first look to help our fellow man, before we look to government for solutions to our problems. Give us the freedom and incentive to help our fellow citizens, I guarantee that we will not let you down, and I trust that you will not let us down. But do not leave us unchecked; ensure that government will leave no one behind should the system falter.

You have inherited a nation convinced of its division. I hope you can show us that though citizens may quarrel as brothers and sisters do, our country is still a united American family. We must not fail to recognize the constant struggle for justice, but we must not let nay-sayers dismiss the wonderful qualities that make our country second to none.

Although some may disagree with your vision, it is indisputable that your vision is based on the fundamental philosophy that guides your life. The speech you gave was eloquent, but had the simple down-home style that showed who you are without any pretense or arrogance. It was filled with spiritual references that reflected your guiding principles, but that were universal in message so as to not exclude those of different creeds. If you continue to present an honest representation of who you are, and what you believe, you will begin to gain the trust and the blessing of some of your harshest critics.

In your first days, you have gotten off to a great start. You have showed that the campaign theme of compassionate conservatism can become cohesive policy. The tax cut plan is gaining momentum. To the surprise of many, there is bipartisan support, and a blessing from the Chairman of the Federal Reserve. You have put forth the education plan that is the cornerstone of your agenda. Never in the campaign did you claim to be anything other than pro-life, and you have rightfully cut off funding to an international program you oppose, and that you have the jurisdiction to end. Most of the cabinet has whizzed through confirmation, and even John Ashcroft, your most controversial pick, is going to be confirmed. This week you introduced a plan to help faith-based groups better help those in need. You recognized that many people are willing to give to charity if they have the means to do so. These new programs that simplify deductions for charitable donations shows a budding new relationship between government, the private sector, and individual citizens. Being President will be a balancing act. You must look for places to compromise, and pick places to stand your ground. There will be concessions to be made but you are well prepared to handle them.

Your key to success may come from your critics' underestimation of your governing skill. Most people do not think you will be able to get much done with the deeply divided Congress. Your natural charm and political skill has already begun to pay dividends. The little things that you insist on, like punctuality, show a sense of respect and good will towards those you will have to work closely with over the years. The press and many Democrats on the Hill are being won over with the friendly nicknames you assign them. You plan on attending the Democratic retreats, and even invited the Kennedy family to the White House to watch the new movie, "Thirteen Days." Though these things seem trivial, you realize that a hand extended in friendship is the first step to a successful working relationship.

You are off to a great start but as you spend political capital to fight high-cost battles on issues you are truly passionate about, you will inevitably encounter roadblocks to fulfilling your agenda. Some goals will be met with ease; others will be mired down by partisanship. Keep your head held high, continue to let your policy decisions be based on your vision rather than on politics, and maintain honesty with the American people through all situations. Growing up during the Reagan presidency, it was easy for many of us to look up to the office of the presidency with admiration and awe. America now turns to you to inspire the next generation with pride in our nation. This is more important and lasting than any tax cut or government program. The tasks ahead of you are daunting, but you have the ability to accomplish your goals, and an American people that wish you success. Good luck from us all!